IMPORTANT INFORMATIONClose relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9)
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Bangladesh Resident Mission (BRM) within the South Asia Department.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The position will oversee the review of procurement-related documents, streamlining of procurement processes; and strengthening of procurement governance at the Resident Mission (RM). The incumbent will report to the County Director and/or designated International Staff and may supervise Administrative Staff.
Oversees the evaluation of the project procurement and contract work in ADB reports (e.g., Project Completion Report), including:
Bid evaluation reports
Contract awards; and
Other procurement documents
Assesses RM’s procurement and contract awards and achievements in the quarterly progress reports.
Prepares annual contract award projections and monitors the actual contract awards.
Writes the procurement-related parts of the Project Completion Report.
- Coordinates with ADB Headquarters divisions on procurement and consulting services matters.
- Oversees the coordination of seminars in the host country such as:
- Country Project Implementation and Administration Seminar,
- Procurement Seminar,
- Seminar on Consulting Services, and
- Seminar on Developing Domestic Consulting Industry.
- Takes initiative to deal with procurement issues in proactive manner.
- Assists RM staff in:
- Discussions on procurement with Executing Agencies (EAs) and MEF; and
- Preparation of mission Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), Aide Memoires, and Back-to-Office Reports (BTORs).
- Tracks procurement related policies and updates by:
- Keeping updated on ADB’s policies, guidelines and procedures on procurement and use of consultants, disseminating this to RM staff, EAs and other agencies concerned, and responding to EAs inquiries on matters relating to procurement and use of consultants.
- Keeping track of host country’s policies, laws, rules and regulations on procurement; and liaising with the Government and agencies concerned and with other donor agencies on procurement matters.
- Organize internal and external training on procurement.
- Providing advice and delivering training on procurement and consulting services for ADB staff in the RM; and
- Assisting in capacity building to the EAs and entities involved in procurement in the host country.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
Bachelor’s degree preferably in engineering or related discipline, preferably with Master’s degree or equivalent.
At least 8 years relevant experience in project preparation and administration with substantial experience in procurement and contract management, and at least 5 years of supervisory experience.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Level 1-2.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of Bangladesh.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.