Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Public Financial Management Unit (PFFM) within the Procurement, Portfolio and Financial Management Department (PPFD). PPFD’s responsibilities in terms of public financial management include: (a) providing financial management and related policy advice to operational departments and Management; (b) preparing, reviewing and updating ADB’s project related financial analysis and management policies, administrative instructions, guidelines, reports, and database; (c) providing technical advice to operational departments on country/sector financial management system assessments, including identification of areas for capacity development and appropriate risk mitigation measures; (d) supporting and overseeing the financial aspects of design, processing, and administration of ADB operations to ensure adequate due diligence on the financial management assessments of programs and projects; (e) providing guidance and advice to operational departments to strengthen internal and external developing member country (DMC) capacity to meet ADB’s financial reporting requirements; (f) developing financial management knowledge products; and (g) serving as focal point for ADB’s relationship with multilateral development banks and other external stakeholders related to financial management issues.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Associate Financial Management Officer will: (i) assist and support ADB’s financial management (FM) function by providing advisory services on financial due diligence, use of country FM systems, financial structuring, and skills development for staff; (ii) guide operations’ departments to ensure compliance with ADB’s guidelines on financial management and analysis, both during project processing and implementation; (iii) support and advise staff on assessment of DMC country financial management systems and make recommendations for use in ADB operations; (iv) contribute to development and dissemination of knowledge products; and (v) work within a framework and broad policies, principles, and goals, applying professional judgment in selection of approaches and work methods.
The incumbent will report to Director, PFFM or designated International Staff and senior National Staff.
- Contributes to the review, update, and development of ADB’s FM policies, administrative instructions, technical guidelines, and tools and templates. Supports the review of key project documents and provides advice to operations departments on compliance with ADB’s policies, administrative instructions, and technical guidelines on project design and implementation.
- Technical Advice
- Provides technical advice to: (i) loan processing and administration missions on interpretation of ADB’s policies and guidelines; (ii) operations departments on project financial risk assessment, financial analysis, and financial management assessment, developing suitable financial covenants, and identification of areas for capacity development and appropriate risk mitigation measures to ensure project financial viability and sustainability; and (iii) operations departments on country/sector FM system assessments and the appropriate use of such systems, including identification of areas for capacity development and risk mitigation measures.
- Advises on financial risks on the design and implementation of projects and identifies appropriate risk mitigation measures. Provides support in the assessment of financial viability and sustainability, reviews audited project financial statements, and provides recommendations.
- Database Management
- Develops and maintains a database of good practice examples for financial analysis, preparation of cost estimates, assessing veracity and viability of financing plans and disbursement arrangements, and financial management assessments.
- Designs electronic repository of core FM documents, including templates, correspondence, tools, and diagnostic studies. Assists in development and maintenance of databases and websites containing relevant information on ADB’s FM knowledge products and activities.
- Knowledge Management and Capacity Development
- Contributes to knowledge management activities, facilitates knowledge management activities. Contributes to the development of FM knowledge products including sector/thematic studies and assessments, good practice examples, guidelines, and checklists.
- Prepares FM training materials. In coordination with Budget, People and Management System Department, assists in the delivery of FM training programs in areas of financial risk assessment, financial analysis, financial management assessment, and project supervision and administration. Provides support in the design and development of FM templates and tools.
- Participates in technical meetings/discussions and provides guidance on financial management issues. Participates in multilateral development banks’ financial management harmonization working groups and supports regional accounting and audit bodies.
- Keeps abreast of emerging trends and issues in accountancy, auditing, and financial management; critically assesses how these affect ADB’s financial management policies; and recommends options for change, if necessary.
- Participates in TA project processing, recruitment of consultants, and implementation.
- Performs other duties that may be assigned.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Professional qualification in accounting (e.g., CPA, CA, ACCA) is mandatory
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or other related field; preferably with advanced training
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience, including in audit and financial due diligence
- Broad knowledge of FM, including: (i) International Financial Reporting Standards and International Standards on Auditing; (ii) internal control systems; (iii) experience in auditing including assessing auditors’ competence; and (iv) experience in advising clients on the design and implementation of FM systems, including financial and management reports
- Working knowledge and understanding of ADB operational processes and procedures
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including report writing
- Good analytical skills
- Proven ability to work independently on assigned transactions, areas of analysis and research, which have well-defined scope and steps
- Proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint; familiarity with database management tools
- Ability to exercise professional judgment
- Ability to guide administrative staff to facilitate work planning, delivery, and quality review
- Ability to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff level 1-2.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.