SENIOR TECHNICAL ADVISOR-Embedded Investment Advisor (Rwandan Development Board [RDB])
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute providing research, development, and technical services to government and commercial clients worldwide. The Food Security and Agriculture division within the International Development Group is implementing the USAID-funded Feed the Future Facilitate Investment Required For Sustainable ExporT (FTF FIRST) activity in Rwanda. FTF FIRST is a five-year program that will work with and through the Government of Rwanda (GOR) to boost economic growth by increasing export of the country’s high-value agricultural crops such as coffee, tea, fresh beans, peppers, and chili.
The Embedded Investment Advisor ‒ RDB will implement and track FTF FIRST activities within the RDB and to help train and coach RDB staff in improved investment promotion skills. They provide strategic capacity-building support and technical assistance to RDB counterparts to drive investment in the agriculture export sector. The Embedded Investment Advisor ‒ RDB is responsible for reviewing RDB’s priority investment pipeline, developing an investment acceleration plan, reviewing RDB pitch decks to align them with FIRST’s competitiveness analyses, and creating new materials as needed. The Advisor will review and update processes and protocols for facilitation, promotion, and aftercare services within RDB.
The Embedded Investment Advisor ‒ RDB reports to the Senior Investment Advisor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build institutional and staff capacity of the RDB to promote agriculture exports through applicable organizational development approaches. Ensure activities align with overall FTF FIRST Activity targets and workplan.
- Support RDB teams to develop a priority investment pipeline, coordinating targeted investor outreach, closing deals, and ensuring appropriate aftercare.
- Support RDB to review and update processes and protocols for facilitation, promotion, and aftercare services within RDB as needed.
- Support RDB to evaluate investment proposals and competitive bids for divesting GOR-owned businesses.
- Support RBD to facilitate investor due diligence trips and high-level delegations to Rwanda by assisting with ‘before care’ duties – gathering information for investment decision-making; linking visitors with local businesses, suppliers, and GOR institutions; assisting with locating land; assisting with registration and certifications; and linking to after care representatives.
- Ensure capacity building and technical assistance approaches are sustainable and can be maintained by the institution beyond the project period of performance.
- Coordinate technical assistance provided by FTF FIRST to RDB (e.g., support from project staff, subcontractors, consultants) as needed.
- Serve as a liaison between the FTF FIRST Activity and RDB staff to facilitate communication between the organizations. Facilitate involvement of key RDB staff in the Cross Ministerial Committee (CMC).
- Contribute to FTF FIRST program deliverables (e.g., workplans, quarterly reports).
- As needed, accompany private local investors and RDB staff for trade and investment missions abroad to help promote the value chains and sub-sector investment opportunities.
Minimum Required Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree and 6 years of experience; or, Bachelor’s degree in a relevant degree and 8 years of experience
- At least five years relevant professional experience supporting international development programs in related fields, including financial advisory services, investment readiness, financial modeling, and private sector capacity development.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with investors, agribusinesses, and Government of Rwanda counterparts to bring investments to fruition.
- Demonstrated knowledge of financing instruments, including commercial loans, blended finance vehicles, guarantee programs, and investment funds.
- Proficiency in English