ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Internews is an international media development organization, whose mission it is to give people a voice and the information to empower communities. To support implementation of USAID-funded Investing in Independent Media (IIM) Activity in Southeast Asia, Internews is seeking a Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Director. This position reports to the Chief of Party (CoP) and collaborates with the Regional M&E Manager in Bangkok to design and manage monitoring and evaluation of programs. The MEL Director will work with the Program Officers to collect data from activities and prepare regular reporting on MEL.
This position will be remote-based for the first six months, followed by a deployment to a country in Southeast Asia (to be determined) for the remainder of the post. The ideal candidate is based in the United States or Southeast Asia. Wherever possible, we work to try to find solutions to international hiring that work for both the company and the candidate. This means that some of the particulars around the offer for a role will be dependent on several factors, and that the benefits and salary structure that apply to a position will ultimately be based upon the candidate’s location and where the role is hired.
OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING A CULTURE OF BELONGING
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams, and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide leadership and direction on MEL to ensure the project achieves its goals and corresponding objectives and targets;
- Work with the CoP, Internews’ M&E staff, and local partners to design and implement Activity Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan to capture project performance and results, and ensure the program utilizes systematized evaluation and learning tools that are flexible to changing needs of partners and the sector;
- Lead results reporting to USAID by providing written documentation of MEL activities and indicator results for progress and annual reports as appropriate;
- Provide MEL capacity building training to relevant staff and local partners;
- Hold Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning check-ins with relevant staff members and partners, and use feedback to adjust the MEL plan and data collection systems accordingly;
- Responsible for collecting, verifying, and reporting MEL data in compliance with USAID’s and Internews’ data quality standards;
- Develop internal tracking systems to maintain MEL data in an organized, secure, and easy-to-understand way;
- Monitor, review, and ensure the quality of MEL data from key partners (including research organizations), mentors, grantees, and technical specialists;
- Input all required training and MEL data into USAID’s online systems as required per the contract;
- Support the design and implementation of baseline/midline assessments and other surveys according to the approved workplan;
- Assist the CoP and other technical staff in producing regular, timely, and accurate narrative reports (including MEL data) per USAID guidelines;
- Coordinate with partners to ensure their timely submission of monitoring and evaluation data and examples of project impact that meet Internews’ and USAID standards for quality, detail, and clarity;
- Respond to requests from USAID and Headquarters staff about MEL data, methodologies, and examples of project impact from various target countries/partners promptly and accurately;
- Produce project communications materials and success stories as per USAID requirements and Internews’ internal standards in conjunction with other project staff as required; and
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
QUALIFICATIONS WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- At least 5 years professional experience in the field of monitoring and evaluation for social development activities and/or media. Experience working on USAID-funded projects is highly preferred
- Proven expertise in both qualitative and quantitative data collection and M&E database systems. Knowledge of data management processes and tools, including USAID’s framework and reporting system
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork and planning skills
- Experience with relevant M&E software, such as Excel, SPSS, Power BI, Stata In-Design, Photoshop, etc.
- Excellent skills in facilitation, teambuilding, and coordination
- Experience working with and providing technical and/or capacity-building support to media outlets in Myanmar preferred
- Familiarity with media research and sustainability work preferred
- Fluency in English and strong English writing skills, to a publishable standard
- Detail-oriented, with strong analytical and information management skills
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, good problem-solver, and flexible
- Ability to work independently, efficiently, and reliably, to a high standard and to deadline
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse staff
- Willingness to travel to project areas in different locations across the project target regions
- Bachelor’s degree in social science, development, or related field or equivalent standard of education. Master’s degree and/or professional training in M&E preferred.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.