DAI seeks a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for the Feed the Future Uganda Inclusive Agricultural Markets Activity. The Activity is a five-year project to increase incomes and improve the livelihoods of households through agriculture-led inclusive economic growth. Inclusivity refers to the active participation and engagement of all actors looking to participate in the market system, including the poor, women, youth, ethnic minorities, or other marginalized groups who are often excluded – or exploited – by traditional market systems. The Activity will contribute to the Global Food Security Strategy Uganda Country Plan goal of reducing hunger, malnutrition, poverty and the USAID/Uganda Country Development Cooperation Strategy 2016-2021, a 5-year goal of strengthening Uganda’s systems to accelerate inclusive education, health and economic outcomes.
The DCOP will support all aspects of technical implementation, maintain communication and momentum among teams, and oversee activity operations, including grants management, progress reporting, and administrative matters. S/he will serve as the secondary point of contact with USAID/Uganda and assume the COP responsibilities in the absence of the COP.
- With the Chief of Party, provide leadership and oversight to all aspects of technical implementation, including designing and leading implementation of technical strategies and activities to meet the Activity’s objectives;
- Support annual work planning development process, implementation of workplan activities, and delivery of annual targets;
- Supervise Kampala- and regionally-based Partnership Managers to ensure coherent technical implementation and coordinate resources across implementation zones;
- With the Chief of Party, identify issues and risks related to program implementation and guide appropriate program adjustments;
- Serve as a key liaison between USAID and all other counterparts, implementing partners, program stakeholders, national and regional policymakers and economic agencies, private sector entities, and civil society organizations.
- Oversee multiple activities simultaneously, including hiring, training, mentoring, and supervising local personnel;
- Ensure compliance with local labor laws, USAID policies, and DAI policies and procedures.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field of study such as rural and agricultural development, agricultural economics, agribusiness and/or business development, and social science or a related field, OR a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study with, at least, 5 years of development experience relevant to the SOW.
- At least 8 years (10 years for a Bachelor’s degree) of progressively increasing responsibility in managing diverse teams and operational functions including public-private partnerships development, grants program management, and adaptive programming for activities of similar scope, size and complexity.
- Demonstrated experience in creating and maintaining effective working relations with government officials, private sector stakeholder and local CSOs.
- At least five years of experience working in related fields in Africa, preferably East Africa.
Interested candidates should send their CV to IAMrecruitment@dai.com with ‘DCOP’ in the subject line. Ugandan candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.