RTI seeks a Deputy Chief of Party/ Senior Finance and Administration Manager to oversee activity financial, operations, human resource management, and general administration on the anticipated five-year USAID Uganda Feed the Future Institutional and Systems Strengthening Activity (ISSA). This activity will improve the performance and structures of Government of Uganda entities and national-level industry associations to better perform their roles within the agricultural market system. The activity will work with the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry, and Fisheries, the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives, and the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation to improve performance, policy enforcement, resource allocation, financial management, and coordination.
The DCOP/ Senior Finance and Administration Manager will set up and manage a unit that ensures the integrity of USAID resources; meets the financial reporting requirements set by USAID; oversees the award and administration of activity-funded grants and contracts to local organizations; ensures that recipient and USAID human resource management policies are adhered to, including USAID’s policy of promoting diversity; oversees logistical arrangements for activity staff and interventions; and otherwise facilitates the smooth operations that ensure that activity results are efficiently achieved. Given Uganda’s high fraud environment, and the risks generally associated with grant-making activities around the world, the DCOP will ensure that the activity employs the checks and balances within its financial and other operating systems that minimize the risk of fraud, malfeasance and other abuse.
RTI is reviewing applications from both Ugandan nationals and expatriates to fill this Kampala-based position. Position is contingent upon award and funding.
- Serve as Acting Chief of Party in Chief of Party’s absence;
- Oversee the finance, operations, administration and grant functions for this large, complex project and ensure compliance with RTI and USAID procedures;
- Manage HR, finance, grants, procurement, subcontracts, operations, and information technology (IT) support to the project, requesting direction from RTI home office business partners as needed.
- Work closely with COP, technical staff, pertinent RTI regional and home office staff and appropriate USAID staff when necessary to ensure project resources are effectively and efficiently budgeted, analysed, disbursed, monitored and reported in achieving project objectives and results.
- Ensure that adequate and appropriate internal controls are in place, in compliance with USAID policies and procedures, to meet generally recognized accounting standards.
- Oversee Finance and Accounting sub-team to support all bookkeeping, bank accounts, and cash flow.
- Manage project funds for the appropriate execution of the project.
- Track project expenses to prepare monthly financial reports and annual budget projections to ensure full compliance with USAID rules and regulations.
- Provide training, coaching and guidance to sub-grantees to build their capacity to manage project expenses and adhere to procurement requirements to meet work plans and contracts.
- When necessary, work closely with key RTI staff, government and non-government officials, contractors and USAID staff to ensure full compliance with local laws (e.g., with respect to taxes, shipping, customs, registration) while integrating with RTI systems and procedures.
- Directly supervise finance, operations and administration team and mentor staff.
- Master’s degree in accounting, business administration, or a related field, with a minimum of ten (10) years of professional experience, including five (5) years in a managerial role, increasing roles of responsibility, and extensive professional experience in finance, operations/administration, logistics and/or human resource-related matters for international development activities of similar scope and size of this Activity, or Bachelor’s degree plus 12 years relevant experience.
- Five (5) years of experience with USAID-funded financial and operational program administration for a project of a similar complexity.
- Experience working in Uganda or a similar high-fraud environment is ideal.
- Fluency with USAID policies and procedures related to financial management, financial reporting, and grant making.
- Excellent track record of good interpersonal, supervision, leadership and managerial skills.
- Results-oriented team player with the ability to follow guidelines and controls required of the position.
- Advanced budgeting, financial analysis, and MS Excel skills required.
- Proficiency with accounting software (Quickbooks preferred), Word, PowerPoint and Access.
- Demonstrated experience with managing audits/financial reviews, including remediation plans.
- Demonstrated team player with effective cross-cultural interpersonal skills; able to develop and communicate a common vision among diverse partners and lead multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to resolve sensitive and complicated work issues with senior high-level country counterparts, donor representative and senior-level staff.
- Verbal and written fluency in the English language along with strong communications, interpersonal, and presentation skills.