Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than
25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors
and partners alike.
Chief of Party for an anticipated USAID project in Mali, to support Mali transition.
This position reports to the Practice Area Director or h/her designee in the CIT Division or his/her designee.
The Chief of Party (COP) will be responsible for the technical leadership and in-country management of the project. S/he will oversee long-term expatriate and local staff, as well as short-term experts, in achieving project results. S/he will regularly undertake
assessments of the broader political environment of Mali, with an emphasis on peacebuilding and stabilization efforts, to ensure programmatic flexibility, responsiveness and rapid reprioritization of activities when necessary.
- Serve as Creative’s principle liaison with US Government representatives, Mali government counterparts, representatives from the international community, and local community stakeholders on program communications and technical implementation of activities;
- Provide technical direction, leadership and oversight of all programmatic and administrative matters;
- Provide technical support to the team in all program areas;
- Develop and design relevant activities and work plans;
- Oversee implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities, ensure that project results are met, and adapt activities as necessary to achieve expected outcomes;
- Seek opportunities to further leverage programming resources to strengthen anticipated outcomes;
- Supervise the development and submission of project deliverables, and provide timely and accurate reporting and briefings to US Government and stakeholders on all program areas;
- Ensure compliance with all terms of the project agreement and all relevant USAID and US Government rules and regulations;
- Oversee implementation of Creative’s security protocols and provide leadership in handling security-related issues; and,
- Manage the program team in a manner that is open and respectful and encourages professional development, and solicits constructive staff input.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in international development, peace and conflict studies or other relevant area;
- At least 10 years of experience in international work with increasing responsibility, of which at least 7 years’ experience in democracy and governance programming, civic engagement, peacebuilding, conflict resolution, countering/preventing violent extremism
or related field;
- Significant experience in Francophone Sub-Saharan Africa preferred;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead and manage challenging projects in conflict areas or areas at-risk of conflict;
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, technical and analytical skills, including an ability to interact effectively with government counterparts and civil society;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French;
- Previous Chief of Party experience.
Local and regional candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.
This is an unaccompanied post.
Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls, please.