Internews is seeking a Chief of Party (CoP) candidate for a potential USAID-funded media support initiative in Indonesia. The CoP will provide strategic guidance and leadership; oversee activities involving Indonesian media outlets and media support organizations, civil society organizations and other potential beneficiaries; supervise program personnel, financial management, compliance and coordinate with USAID and other media stakeholders to ensure that Internews leverages existing resources, avoids duplication, and complements other initiatives. The Chief of Party will also be responsible for establishing strong partnerships with counterparts across the country and with the appropriate donor representatives. Programmatic and financial management of the program will be supported by Internews’ Asia team and administrative staff, ensuring that all program operations meet Internews’ quality standards and are carried out in accordance with relevant rules and regulations. The position will be based in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Note: Hiring will be dependent upon receipt of funding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, other duties may be assigned:
- Provide strategic, operational and representational leadership to ensure that activities are meeting their goals and targets on time and within budget, recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the program on track.
- Manage and oversee organization and implementation of activities that take place throughout Indonesia. Supervise staff and coordinate with partners based throughout Indonesia. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organizational policies and applicable local laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints, and resolving problems.
- Leadership, management, representational and operational oversight.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with partner organizations throughout the country and ensure that program implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries.
- Write and revise program reports, communications materials, and other program documentation in collaboration with Internews staff and according to award stipulations.
- Serve as the public face of the program and primary point of contact for in country and international donor missions and stakeholders.
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and to measure program impact.
- Maintain strategic awareness of independent media issues in the country and within the broader region, and a thorough understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media, especially online digital media.
- Ensure the program is in compliance with all cooperative agreement rules, requirements, and regulations, as well as with Internews’ internal policies and procedures.
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the program, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the program are allowable, reasonable, and correctly allocated.
- Maintain regular communications with Internews headquarters staff to communicate progress on programming and address upcoming issues in advance.
- Provide support as necessary for developing new relationships and business initiatives.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Manage and oversee all staff based in the country. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proven and progressively responsible experience managing large, multi-year USAID funded projects, preferably as a Chief of Party, with a strong reputation for developing excellent collaborative working relationships with local counterparts, international organizations, and donors
- Prior work experience working in media and/or in the media and information development sector
- Prior work experience in Indonesia or a country with a similar context
- Deep understanding of the media sector in Indonesia, as well as working knowledge of the broader media environment in Southeast Asia
- A successful track record in supervising, designing, managing and implementing technical assistance for donor-funded media programs and proven ability to develop and monitor work plans, training plans, and procurement plans.
- Experience implementing complex, multifaceted programs with demonstrated skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Proven experience working effectively with media and media/journalist associations, civil society, private sector organizations, and host country government counterparts.
- Proven ability to develop, manage and nurture working relationships among diverse groups of national and multilateral stakeholders, donors, and NGOs.
- Demonstrated mentoring abilities and experience supporting senior managerial staff.
- USAID or USG experience is strongly preferred.
- Experience leveraging other sources of funding to advance programmatic objectives.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- English fluency required
- Graduate degree in communications, journalism or related fields required
PHYSICAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met or may be encountered by an employee performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. vision abilities required by this job include close vision for use of computer terminal and reading printed and electronic materials. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Work hours are moderately flexible, but generally Monday through Friday from 9 am to 6 pm.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the associate a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.