Chemonics seeks a chief of party for USAID’s Reading Improvement for Development program in Honduras. This five-year, $53-to-$55-million program will support the government of Honduras, in collaboration with other donors, civil society, and the private sector, to improve reading outcomes of Honduran students in basic education grades 1 to 6 in the geographic areas targeted by USAID/Honduras. The program will 1) strengthen the Ministry of Education’s capacity to implement evidence-based reading approaches in basic education; 2) improve school and classroom materials to enhance reading instruction; 3) improve capacity of teachers and key support personnel to provide quality reading instruction to students in Grades 1 to 6; and 4) strengthen parental and community participation leading to improved learning and reading achievement. The chief of party will make strategic decisions, provide technical and managerial oversight, and ensure the program’s operational and technical integrity. This position will be based in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
Provide overall program leadership, management, and technical direction to ensure all activities, staff, and partners achieve targeted results and meet reporting requirements
• Serve as a key liaison with USAID, the host-country government, and other relevant counterparts and implementing partners
- Provide overall management and supervision of activity implementation, ensuring the program meets its stated goals, reporting directly to the designated USAID Contracting Officer’s Representative
- Ensure an integrated vision among components and program actors
- Identify issues and risks related to implementation in a timely manner, suggesting appropriate adjustments as needed
- Master’s degree (or foreign equivalent) in education or a directly related field required; Ph.D. or Ed.D. preferred
- Minimum 15 years of senior-level experience in education and development, with relevant management, supervisory, technical experience on large education projects focused on early grade reading, teacher training, and/or learner assessments (10 years must be in a management/leadership position) required; at least 5 years of experience in the education sector in Latin America preferred; USAID or other donor-funded project experience preferred
- Proven track record and experience in project designs, policy dialogue, strategic planning and implementation, education reform and national-level quality improvement required
- Experience in early grade reading and education in conflict-affected, alternative, and rural settings required
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of capacity development and teacher professional development, required; experience implementing early grade reading assessments (or similar reading assessments) preferred
- Strong leadership skills and experience managing large teams in culturally diverse settings required
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Advanced professional proficiency in reading, speaking, listening and writing in English required; advanced professional proficiency in reading, speaking, listening and writing in Spanish preferred
Send an electronic submission of your CV and cover letter to HondurasRIDjobs@chemonics.com by December 22, 2016, with “Chief of Party” in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.