Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of Mongolia.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Mongolia Resident Mission (MNRM) within the East Asia Department (EARD) in ADB. EARD is responsible for providing leadership innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work that covers operations in People’s Republic of China (PRC) and Mongolia (MON). MNRM is responsible for development and implementation of project managed by the resident mission.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Transport Officer will contribute to MNRM’s project processing (in coordination with the HQ and RM based staff) and project administration activities related to loan, grant and technical assistance (TA) projects, and will support overall project administration. The incumbent will report to Project Administration Unit (PAU) Head, and/or designated International Staff (IS) and senior National Staff. For technical matters and on transport sector (road, rail, air, and urban) coordination in-country the incumbent will report to the designated IS outposted to MNRM.
Project and TA Processing
- Supports Project Team Leaders in designing loan and grant projects and preparing loan and grant approval documents, including: (i) participation in programming missions and support in the preparation of transport sector assessments, identification of transport sector performance indicators, (ii) development of the transport sector roadmap; (iii) design of project implementation arrangements, including the project management set-up; (iii) preparation of Project/Facility Administration Manuals (PAM/FAM) or their equivalent; (iv) provision of inputs for Report and Recommendation of the President (RRP) preparation, such as lessons learned from past projects, data on outstanding loans, grants, TAs; and (v) participation in project processing missions as necessary;
Project and TA Administration
- Provides support in administering loan, grant, and TA projects. Supervises update of Project Administration Memorandum/FAMs. Reviews and prepares comments/recommendations on bidding documents for procurement of goods and services, selection of consultants and training institutions to ensure compliance with ADB guidelines and policies. Reviews Executing Agency’s (EA’s) bid evaluation reports and recommendations for contract awards and submissions on recruitment of consultants. Conducts background analyses and draft requests for approval of changes in project scope and implementation arrangements, reallocation of TA/loan proceeds, and extension of closing dates;
- Supports preparation of annual contract awards and disbursement projections and monitors the progress. Prepares draft Procurement Committee Papers. Drafts project administration related memos and communications. Supervises the process of TA consultant recruitment and coordinates paperwork with concerned departments/offices; monitors submission of consultants’ final billings and TA completion to ensure timely closing of TA accounts, submission of consultants’ reports, quarterly project reports and safeguard documents; and compliance with Public Communications Policy;
- Updates information and performance of assigned loan, grant and TA projects into eOperations every month and after each mission, including project description and scope, status of implementation, developments, major problems, and actions taken/proposed; participates in departmental/divisional meetings for reviewing the project performances;
- Monitors compliance with loan covenants and action plans and maintains system to monitor submission of Audit Reports and Project Accounts. Tracks project outputs against ADB Results Framework. Participates and contributes independently in project inception, reviews, mid-term reviews, special loan administration missions, and project completion review missions. Provides training for counterpart staff in EAs and facilitates communication between implementing agencies and ADB;
- Contributes to the achievement of MNRM’s operational key result areas (KRAs) in portfolio management by assisting the PAU Head in conducting country portfolio review missions
- Prepares project completion report/technical assistance completion report programs and monitoring progress. Prepares annual mission plans and staff-days requirement for project administration activities;
- Provides guidance and training to Project Analysts and Operations Assistants.
- Provides technical inputs to special transport sector reports in coordination with the sector division, knowledge products and diagnostic studies, reviews of policy papers, and reports by other departments and counterparts.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent, in civil engineering, transport planning or related fields, preferably with advanced training;
• At least 8 years of experience in one or more of the following: project administration/coordination, portfolio management, and project processing;
• Strong analytical, interpersonal and cross-cultural skills to liaise effectively with developing member country government officials, staff and management of executing agencies, representatives of civil societies, and other agencies concerned• Ability to liaise and deal effectively with staff, consultants, counterparts in executing agencies and other development agencies;
• Proficient in computer-based applications;• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Strong research skills and experience in compiling and organizing data;
• Former work experience and established relationships in EARD countries (PRC and MON) will be an advantage;
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Level 2.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.