The National Democratic Institute (NDI) is currently seeking a diligent, organized and enthusiastic graduate student or recent graduate with strong communication skills and demonstrated interest in democratic development programs to assist the Southern and East Africa (SEA) Team. The project assistant will work primarily with the Program Assistants of the SEA team in our Washington, DC office, though the position is remote until at least early July 2021. The anticipated start date for this position is mid-March 2021.
- Assist with program logistics, including travel arrangements (when necessary), meeting schedules, and briefing books for traveling NDI staff, consultants, and delegations;
- Collect and distribute foreign and domestic newspaper, magazine, and/or academic articles pertaining to Southern and East African affairs;
- Review and summarize documents and information from subgrantees;
- Provide administrative support on assigned country programs, including filing, faxing, copying, and mailing;
- Assist in researching and drafting periodic reports on NDI programs;
- Attend events and lectures on Southern and East Africa and provide written summaries to team members;
- Attend NDI events and program meetings and provide minutes to team members;
- Review documentation of regional office expenditures;
- Assist in organizing document archives of NDI programs in the SEA region; and
- Complete special projects as requested.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or current graduate student, or a recent graduate of such a program (relevant degree programs might include, but are not limited to: African studies, international development, international relations, or political science);
- Some knowledge of Southern and East Africa and an interest in learning more;
- Experience with event planning and managing logistics strongly desirable;
- Strong cultural competency, sensitivity, and ability to work in diverse team environments;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Strong research and writing skills;
- Fluency in oral and written English; additional language skills desirable, particularly Portuguese;
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Ability to work independently and with others in a fast-paced environment; and
- Weekday availability of 40 hours per week for at least 3 months, with possibility of extension to 6 months.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship. Only candidates residing in Maryland, Virginia, Oregon, California, Illinois or Washington, D.C. will be considered for this opportunity.
NDI is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). As such, NDI makes employment decisions and provides equal employment opportunity without regard to an applicant’s or employee’s race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state and local laws. If you need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please notify NDI’s Human Resources department.