The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) helps local partners strengthen democracy and governance in over 70 nations around the world. NDI seeks a TemporaryProject Assistant who will be an integral and creative part of NDI’s Government Relations and Communications team. The successful candidate will assist in outreach to the U.S. Congress and Executive Branch, and help in developing and implementing NDI’s external communication strategy through the web, social media, press and outreach to key stakeholders. This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Senior Communications Manager in the department.
- Assist with outreach to the U.S. Congress, Executive Branch and other key stakeholders to stress the importance of democracy and governance, and the role of NDI partners in promoting democracy around the world.
- Monitor Congressional hearings and legislation, closely tracking issues that impact NDI’s work.
- Monitor information sources, including traditional media and social media for topics related to NDI’s work.
- Provide operational and staff support for NDI’s public outreach.
- Assist in creating and editing content for NDI’s website and social media accounts.
- Copy edit NDI publications such as reports, press releases, success stories and other products.
- Assist in developing press contacts, in promoting NDI events and press outreach and speaking opportunities for staff experts.
- Assist in drafting press releases, statements, advisories and opinion-related pieces.
- Contribute to the writing and design of e-newsletters and other email communications.
- Assist in creating and designing video, brochures, online publications, event invitations, infographics and other materials.
- Assist with special projects.
- Bachelor’s degree required and degree in journalism, communications, digital media, graphic design or related course of study preferred.
- Excellent writing and editing skills a must.
- Congressional experience a plus.
- Photography, graphic design and videography skills preferred.
- International relations and development experience a plus.
- A self-starter and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks, use independent judgment and follow-through with minimal supervision very important.
- Ability to work under pressure and deadlines very important.
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in the Adobe CC Suite, CiviCRM and Drupal a plus.
Any application without a cover letter will not be considered. Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Candidates must be legally eligible and authorized to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
As a result of COVID19, this position will start in a remote capacity. However, when the office re-opens, this position will be based in our Washington, DC office. NDI does not cover relocation costs for this position.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related conditions.
To apply for this position, please visit the NDI website at: http://www.ndi.org/careers.