The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is currently seeking candidates for a 3-month temporary project assistant position with a possible 3-month extension based on performance. The position is with NDI’s Central and West Africa (CEWA) team starting end of April 2023. The project assistant will be responsible for assisting with the implementation of democratic development programs in Francophone countries in the region through the following assignments:
- Assist with program logistics, including arrangements for airfare, hotel, visas, meeting schedules, and briefing books for traveling NDI staff, consultants, and delegations;
- Collect and distribute foreign and domestic newspaper, magazine, and/or academic articles pertaining to Central and West African affairs;
- Review and summarize documents and information from subgrantees;
- Document translation between French and English; Required for Francophone TPA candidates.
- Provide administrative support on assigned country programs, including filing, faxing, copying, and mailing;
- Assist in researching and drafting periodic reports on NDI programs;
- Attend events and lectures on Central and West Africa and provide written summaries to team members;
- Attend NDI events and program meetings and provide minutes to team members;
- Review documentation of field office expenditures;
- Assist in organizing document archives of NDI programs in the CEWA region; and
- Complete special projects as requested.
- A bachelor’s degree or pursuing a graduate degree, or a recent graduate of such a program (relevant degree programs might include, but are not limited to: African studies, international development, international relations, or political science);
- Some knowledge of Central and West Africa and an interest in learning more;
- High degree of organization, attention to detail, and skill at prioritizing and managing multiple tasks;
- Strong research and writing skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel and Google applications;
- Oral and written proficiency in French Preferred but not required for this position
- Oral and written proficiency in English
- Availability to work 40 hours/week for six months.
To be considered for a Temporary Project Assistant at NDI, you must have completed a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and be located in Maryland, D.C., or Virginia. The hourly rate for candidates with a completed Bachelor’s degree is $16.10. The hourly rate for candidates with a completed Master’s degree is $17.10. Both rates will increase July 1 to comply with DC Minimum Wage laws.
While there may be flexibility for remote/hybrid work environments and to comply with tax and legal obligations, successful candidates must be residents of MD, DC, or VA or relocate prior to the start of employment at NDI.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
NDI is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). As such, NDI makes employment decisions and provides equal employment opportunity without regard to an applicant’s or employee’s race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state and local laws. If you need reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please notify NDI’s Human Resources department.
To apply please click below.
If you had an account previously but don’t receive a password reset, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and your account can be reactivated and a password reset sent to you.