The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) works in 190 countries and territories to put children first. UNICEF has helped save more children’s lives than any other humanitarian organization, by providing health care and immunizations, clean water and sanitation, nutrition, education, emergency relief and more. UNICEF USA supports UNICEF’s work through fundraising, advocacy and education in the United States. Together, we are working toward the day when no children die from preventable causes and every child has a safe and healthy childhood. For more information, visit http://www.unicefusa.org.
Temporary Deputy Director, Global Citizenship Fellowship
Reporting to the Vice President of Professional Learning and Leadership Development, the UNICEF Global Citizenship Fellowship temporary Deputy Director will play a leadership role in managing and developing the Global Citizenship Fellowship (GCF). The Global Citizenship Fellowship unites and empowers American youth and volunteers in service on behalf of children around the world. 18 Global Citizenship Fellows, who serve as grassroots spokespersons for children and bring together networks of faith-based communities, schools, universities, volunteers, advocates, elected leaders and other Americans to unite on behalf of children. Leveraging UNICEF USA’s existing educational offerings and engagement programs, like UNICEF Kid Power, Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF, End Trafficking, Youth Engagement (including High School and Campus Initiative Clubs), Advocacy, and Local Activations, the Global Citizenship Fellows are affecting transformational change in the lives of children around the world, and empowering people to act locally.
In July 2018, 6 new Fellows will begin their two-year term of service in the following locations or program areas: Boston, Dallas, New York City, Miami and UNICEF Next Generation. The temporary Deputy Director will directly manage a program Manager and at least six Global Citizenship Fellows, and will collaborate across the Community Engagement teams and UNICEF USA Regional offices to implement the fellowship recruitment, selection, training, and orientation plan.
This full-time temporary assignment is based in New York City and available from April 30, 2018 to October 31, 2018.
Key Responsibilities/Outcomes (include but are not limited to):
- Assist leadership with program development, strategy and improvement
- Support, manage, and mentor program Manager and fellows, providing coaching, professional development opportunities, and performance evaluation
- Work with Fellowship supervisors and HR to effectively on-board new fellows in 2018
- Provide leadership and direction in planning and executing July 2018 Fellows’ orientation
- Work with the Manager to provide direction to GCF Leadership team in understanding and adhering to HR policies and procedures for Fellows
- Provide ongoing feedback and coaching, support and troubleshooting for fellows and create other coaching/mentoring opportunities for further growth and interaction
- Identify/coordinate leadership development activities to provide the fellows with opportunities for professional growth and development
- Support program communication and update systems with internal departments, regional offices and other key staff
- Support Community Engagement Fellows in developing partnerships and conducting outreach to constituents to support UNICEF USA’s strategic plan
- Support Fellowship supervisors by providing resource and guidance on program policies, procedures and management to support Fellows’ work plan and SMART Goals
- Track Global Citizenship Fellowship budget expenses and monitor over/under spending
- As necessary, support grassroots regional Fellow lead events such as educator trainings, volunteer trainings/meetings, fundraisers for Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF or other campaigns
- Support fundraising and reporting needs to generate funds for this and other domestic programs
- Support Program Manager as necessary in executing GCF alumni engagement strategy and programming efforts
- Support the team and the programs with administrative tasks as assigned
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 7 – 10 years relevant work experience
- Program management experience preferred
- Partnership development, community organizing and/or fundraising experience a plus
- Demonstrated experience managing, coaching, and/or supporting staff, interns or fellows
- Experience managing/leading remote teams a plus
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and prioritize while working under multiple deadlines
- Demonstrated interest in international development issues preferred
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes weekend and evening commitments, as well as business related travel
- Strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail
- Proficient internet researcher and in Microsoft Office (Outlook- 2010 preferred, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint); SharePoint, and other technologies; social media networking skills/experience a plus
- Must demonstrate UNICEF USA Core Values: Trust, Respect, Accountability, Innovation, Teamwork, and Service
To Apply- All Applicants Must Apply Online at: https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=UNICEFUSA&cws=1&rid=933
Must possess current and valid US Work Authorization and be eligible to work for any US employer without sponsorship.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UNICEF USA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.