Department: Information Technology
Reports to: International Information Technology Support Lead with additional supervision from Senior Director of Finance and Resources
Works closely with: All US, regional, and country office IT staff
Salary: C1 – C3 (£33,257 – £38,799)
Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly launched hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped our partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
Internews is a non-profit organisation operating internationally, with administrative centers in California, Washington DC, London and Paris as well as regional hubs in Bangkok, Kiev and Nairobi. Formed in 1982, Internews currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
Under the supervision of the International Information Technology Support Lead , the Technical Support Officer (hereafter “Support Specialist”) provides first level technical support for Internews EU program offices, help desk support for Internews EU worldwide staff and support for Internews global IT infrastructure. This position has primary support responsibility for staff based in London, but will be required to assist others globally as needed. We especially expect a high level of assistance for IEU staff based around the world.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without accommodation.
The Support Specialist will monitor and respond in a very timely manner to requests for technical assistance received in the Internews IT Help desk system. He/She will also take requests via MS Teams Chat and will log tickets in the system on behalf of the user as needed. He/She shall be responsible for monitoring and maintaining tickets in the Internews IT Help system. This position will also assist in monitoring, maintaining and troubleshooting Internews’ global IT Infrastructure including but not limited to critical HQ business systems and project office IT architecture. A very high level of customer service is expected. This includes prompt polite responses to internal customers and a daily log of issues and tasks associated with daily work performed.
The Support specialist may be required to travel to other Internews offices to implement the technical set-up of new offices, and to train staff and assist in roll-outs of new software and policies.
Due to the nature of this position, work is generally to be performed between standard office hours of 9:00 am to 6:00 pm local time, Monday – Friday. However due to the global nature of the organization, occasional work outside these hours might be required.
Network Configuration, Monitoring & Maintenance:
- Assist with project office IT infrastructure setup and maintenance
- Install and update applications to project office servers and end user devices as requested;
- Initiate 3rd party vendor support requests if required;
- Work under the direction of IT management staff to maintain Internews business systems;
- Perform data recovery as needed and implement disaster recovery procedures;
- Contribute to documentation related to company procedures;
- Maintain physical environment for network hardware;
- Assists with off-hour emergencies and time-sensitive issues when required.
- Provide first level support for Internews EU project office IT infrastructure
End user support:
- Provide technical support for Internews EU staff globally.
- Monitor and maintain client issues using Internews helpdesk system;
- Set-up and configure end user desktop, laptop and mobile computing devices to Internews IT standards;
- Assists with off-hour emergencies and time-sensitive issues when required
- Provides support and set-up assistance with mobile devices;
- Learns new tools and best practices and adopts quickly to better support end users.
- Train new employees on core technologies such as Teams, OneDrive, Outlook, Egnyte, conferencing tools, and other applications supported by Internews
Departmental administration and people skills:
- Assist with tracking software, hardware and licensing inventory
- Provide strong, clear and concise written and verbal communication to colleagues and customers
- Build appropriate rapport and have a positive and professional working relationship with co-workers and consultants;
- Manage crisis situations using excellent communication with affected staff and management;
- Respond to support requests with a professional and friendly tone
- Respond to support requests with an appropriate sense of urgency
- Ask questions quickly from HQ and Management when assistance is needed!
- Works within Internews approved communications tools
- Actively participates in testing of new software and hardware as requested by the Information Technology Manager.
- Follows procedures precisely and thoroughly;
- Extensive knowledge of Windows 7,8, 10 and MacOS
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office 2013,2016 and 365;
- Proficient use of Office 365 applications and administration tools, including but not limited to:
- Outlook, Teams, Word, Excel, Forms, Sharepoint, 2FA, and Admin Consoles.
- Mobile Phone and mobile device configuration and support experience.
- Familiarity with computer systems from end user perspective;
- Broad knowledge of computer hardware, network operations and maintenance;
- Knowledge of telecommunications systems;
- Knowledge of emerging technology trends;
- Knowledge of computer software applications.
- Willingness to continue developing professional skills that benefit Internews and the individual.
- Detail oriented with a demonstrated ability to follow all policy and procedure
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to give an employee a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.
This position will be located in the United Kingdom and therefore a successful applicant must obtain the Right to Work in the UK in order to commence their employment
Closing date: 28 February 2020