The Power Africa Off-grid (PAOP) Project Ethiopia Lead Advisor is responsible for increasing the number of off-grid electrification connections in Ethiopia, by providing technical assistance to off-grid energy companies to accelerate system sales. The Lead Advisor is also responsible for supporting investors and Financial Institutions (FIs) to increase access to finance for off-grid companies and potential customers. The job entails leading tailored technical assistance activities to both off-grid companies and FIs on a range of topics such as: business performance; market dynamics; access to finance; policy and regulations; and cross-sectoral themes such as gender and productive uses of energy. This is a full-time role based in Ethiopia. This position reports to the East Africa Regional Advisor and Chief of Party.
- Lead all PAOP activities including conducting assessments, identification of highest impact opportunities, weekly activity reporting, contributing to annual work plans and annual and quarterly reports, and implementing approved activities, such as:
- Lead market dynamics activities, including the dissemination of market intelligence to off-grid companies and investors, assessing potential demand for off-grid products, and identifying potential partners for companies to reach these customers.
- Business-focused technical assistance to solar home system (SHS) and mini-grid companies to help them develop and implement their business models and financial planning.
- Access to finance technical assistance to link off-grid companies with relevant investors, including support to raise equity and debt, as well as grant application support.
- Coordinate health facility electrification activities throughout Ethiopia.
- Maintain a robust and up-to-date understanding of the off-grid market dynamics in Ethiopia.
- Provide other advisory services as required, including the following:
- Identify new potential high-impact off-grid energy companies for support, determining financial viability of business plans and potential for USG assistance.
- Identify domestic and external financing sources and provide intel to the Access to Finance team on in-country investors, institutional investors, commercial banks and international finance institutions.
- Identify private sector stakeholders, including off-grid energy companies, distributors and others in the country and facilitate matchmaking between stakeholders.
- Coordinate provision of technical assistance to off-grid energy companies with other donors to avoid duplication of efforts.
- Identify areas of support required by the private sector that can be provided by Power Africa.
- Increased system sales for off-grid companies operating in the Ethiopia market.
- Policies and regulations more private sector friendly
- Increases investments and funds mobilized for off-grid energy solutions
- Weekly and quarterly reports per USAID and program requests.
- Other documents and resources, as jointly identified by the East Africa Regional Advisor, Senior Technical Advisor, and COP.
- Masters degree and 3 years of experience or Bachelors Degree and 5 years of experience
- Experience working with energy companies, commercial investment banks, private equity and/or financial or legal services companies or firms in the energy or finance sector.
- Skills to analyze and resolve a wide range of problems arising in transaction structuring and project development.
- Significant experience of the energy sector in Ethiopia, and preferably with off-grid energy solutions.
- Proven written and oral communication skills, teamwork and interpersonal skills dealing with high-level donor, government agency and private sector company staff.
- Fluency in written and spoken English required.
This post is offered on a Local National Contract – local compensation and benefit plan will apply.
Candidates must be in possession of the valid permit to live and work in the country of work.