The National Democratic Institute (NDI) seeks a Subgrants Assistant to join its Citizen Participation and Inclusion team in delivering programs that provide financial and technical assistance to marginalized populations. The team develops and maintains partnerships across the globe with more than 50 local organizations annually. This includes partnerhsips created through NDI’s flagship ERA Fund with its mission of building the power and influence of activists campaigning for the equal rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and intersex (LGBTQI+) populations and people with disabilities. The Subgrants Assistant will play an instrumental role in ensuring resources are reaching local partners. The Subgrants Assistant will report to the Program Director and will work alongside other team members, including the Subgrants Administrator, and will liaise with other NDI administrative teams as needed. The position will be based in NDI’s Washington, DC headquarters with telework from the DC, Maryland or Virginia area until the physical office is able to safely reopen as soon as COVID permits.
- Assist the Subgrants Administrator in structuring and administering grants to grassroots civil society organizations around the world representing people with disabilities, ethnic and religious minorities, LGBTQI+ populations
- Work directly with the Program Director and other program staff to support local subgrant recipients in fulfilling grant requirements
- Enter new subgrant records and update subgrantee data using MS Access Subgrants Database and other related software
- Prepare and route wire payment requests for management approval
- Organize and maintain files of subgrant documents
- Prepare and send “pre-close” letters to subgrantees
- Assist with annual and donor-specific audits
- Assist with the review of subgrantees’ financial report packages and consult with grantees as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management and Administration, or related subject
- Minimum one year of work experience in accounting or another administrative field
- Previous experience with international nonprofit organization is desirable
- High level of attention to detail in all aspects of work responsibilities and excellent organizational skills
- Ability to telework with limited supervision
- Good English writing skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff and subgrantees, as needed
- Ability to use effective strategies and tactics for accomplishing assigned duties
- Working knowledge of word processing and Excel spreadsheet applications
- Knowledge of a foreign language is a plus
- Knowledge of Fixed Amount Awards (FAAs) is a plus
This is a union position to be represented by the Office and Professional Employees International Union (OPEIU) Local 2.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
NDI is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). As such, NDI makes employment decisions and provides equal employment opportunity without regard to an applicant’s or employee’s race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state and local laws. If you need reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please notify NDI’s Human Resources department.
To apply please visit our website at www.ndi.org/careers.