IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused exclusively on the private sector. We help developing countries achieve sustainable growth by financing investment, providing advisory services to businesses and governments, and mobilizing capital in the international financial markets. For more information, visit http://www.ifc.org.
The Risk and Sustainability VPU helps ensure that IFC is sufficiently profitable and capitalized to sustain and grow its operations through prudent risk management at the corporate, portfolio, project, and client levels. It enhances IFC’s license to operate through setting and bearing best practice standards to drive sustainable private sector development in emerging markets. The VPU work in partnership with other Vice Presidents to ensure IFC meets its corporate targets.
Sustainability is a strategic priority for IFC. It underpins the World Bank Group’s efforts to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity in a sustainable way. We focus on the most urgent challenges—helping businesses address climate change, and foster sustainable practices in key sectors such as agribusiness, infrastructure and natural resources and financial markets. In some of the world’s most challenging markets, we help create the conditions that can accelerate investment in these areas.
IFC is seeking to strengthen its global team of environmental and social specialists through the recruitment of Social Specialists with expertise in the agribusiness, infrastructure and manufacturing sectors. The position will be based in New Delhi.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3 year term appointment.Background / General description
DR• Review and appraise the social risks and impacts associated with IFC investments against the requirements of IFC’s Performance Standards (PSs) on Environmental and Social Sustainability as early in the project cycle as possible, and develop e recommendations for client actions and draft relevant project documentation.
• Define steps required to assist clients improve their performance and meet requirements of IFC’s Performance Standards (PSs) and the World Bank Group Environmental, Health and Safety Guidelines. In particular the Social Specialist will focus on those risks and issues related to community engagement and grievance mechanisms (PS1), labor and working conditions (PS2), land acquisition and involuntary resettlement (PS5), indigenous peoples (PS7) and cultural heritage (PS8).
• Oversee the supervision of the environment and social performance of projects in IFC’s portfolio.
• Contribute to the corporate knowledge base by analyzing and disseminating lessons learned and best practice from specific IFC investments.
• Work with client companies and mobilize technical and financial support to address social aspects of clients’ operations.
• Provide training on E&S issues to IFC clients, investment staff and other Specialists.
• Represent IFC at technical meetings, industry events and social development fora.Duties and Accountabilities
SC• Advanced degree in anthropology, sociology or other relevant discipline.
• A minimum of 8 years of relevant experience in assessing social development aspects of private sector business activities.
• Track record in working with private sector firms across industry sectors (including agribusiness, infrastructure and/or manufacturing) to identify social risks and issues and develop mitigation measures to ensure compliance with good international industry practice.
• Strong analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyze diverse information and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently, articulate issues and recommend solutions.
• Excellent verbal and written English language skills.
• Self-starter with enthusiasm for complex project challenges, integrated business solutions and IFC’s Sustainability initiative.
• Experience in the region of hire preferred, and ability to travel frequently in the region required.
• Good team player who can work as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team, motivate and lead group efforts and network effectively across boundaries.
Resumes should not exceed two pages and other supporting materials should be no more than four pages (including statement of interest).Selection Criteria