Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than
25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors
and partners alike.
Senior Technical Advisor – Domestic Election Observation (Technical Advisor) for an Electoral Support Project in Mali, funded by USAID to support political and electoral processes in Mali. The Technical Advisor is to be based in Bamako, Mali and will be
responsible for implementing domestic election observation activities.
This position reports to the Chief of Party.
The Technical Advisor will be responsible for facilitating and supporting domestic election observation for a USAID-funded Mali electoral support project.
- Build internal capacity of Malian civil society organizations to observe the 2018 elections at the national, regional, and local levels;
- Review and enhance domestic observation methodology, including electoral violence/hotspot monitoring, and the use of sample-based observation and ICT;
- Serve as principal liaison with domestic observation groups, and with any international observer missions that are present for the 2018 election;
- Build local capacity to advocate for election and political processes reforms following the 2018 elections.
- Conduct organizational capacity assessments and provide targeted assistance to domestic observation groups, to strengthen their development during the life of the project;
- Provide technical direction and leadership in matters related to the project’s domestic election observation activities;
- Support project monitoring and evaluation activities related to election observation;
- Supervise development and submission of project deliverables related to election observation.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- At least seven (7) years of experience successfully implementing electoral assistance programs in developing countries;
- Demonstrated prior experience building the capacity of domestic observer groups or networks in challenging contexts, including first-hand experience providing technical assistance for the implementation of sample-based observation in at least one country;
- Strong command of effective tools and approaches for increasing the technical and organizational capacity development of partner civil society organizations, including through the appropriate and effective use of ICT;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated sound financial stewardship, ethical management, gender sensitivity, adaptability, and record of success in politically sensitive environments;
- Proven ability to foster citizen engagement and oversight, political participation of marginalized groups, and organizational capacity development of civil society organizations;
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in a relevant field; and
- Fluency in written and spoken French and English.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Experience as a development professional administering donor-funded programs in West Africa;
- Experience working with citizen engagement and oversight of political processes, especially as they relate to youth and gender;
- Thorough understanding of the political, social, and economic environment, and of the history and culture of Mali. Prior experience in Mali and/or in West Africa;
- Experience working with partnership organizations, especially civil society organizations and/or government agencies;
- Experience in developing survey tools and working with focus groups;
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience from an accredited university in a relevant field.
Local and regional candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.
This is an unaccompanied post.
Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls, please.