Job Title: Senior Malaria Technical Advisor, Uganda Malaria Control Activity*
Department: Anglophone Africa
Based in Kampala, Uganda
Reports to Chief of Party, Uganda Malaria Control Activity
Start Date: Approximately March 2021
*Contingent upon funding
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), a leading global health organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from mosquito nets to HIV testing.
There are over 8,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We are a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI seeks a Senior Malaria Technical Advisor to provide technical guidance on the design, introduction, and implementation of malaria control and elimination strategies under an anticipated $38M 5-year USAID/PMI-funded project at PSI’s local affiliate in Uganda, PACE. The project will strengthen national and sub-national capacity to implement malaria vector control, service delivery, surveillance, social and behavior change, and operational research in Uganda.
Sound like you? Read on.
The Senior Malaria Technical Advisor will be responsible for providing technical guidance on design, introduction, and implementation of malaria control and elimination strategies under the USAID Uganda PMI Uganda Malaria Control Activity, an anticipated 5-year activity in Uganda. PSI anticipated the project will provide technical assistance to the Government of Uganda to implement malaria vector control, service delivery, surveillance, social and behavior change, and operational research.
The Senior Malaria Technical Advisor will be responsible for supporting the COP and DCOP to ensure that project activities are implemented according to international and national guidelines and best practices. The Senior Malaria Technical Advisor will also be responsible for ensuring quality of malaria control and elimination strategies implemented by the PMI Uganda Malaria Control Activity. The Senior Malaria Technical Advisor will also be responsible for strengthening the technical capacity of project staff.
Under the supervision of the COP and in line with USAID and PSI policies the Senior Malaria Technical Advisor will be responsible for:
- Monitoring the publication of new evidence at the global and regional level on malaria control and elimination strategies
- Develop analytically sound and comprehensive reports on the design, introduction, and implementation of malaria control and elimination strategies in Uganda Support coordination mechanisms across consortium partners to ensure adherence Ugandan and global guidelines and best practices for malaria control and elimination.
- Mentor project staff in Ugandan and global best practices in malaria control and elimination
- Ensure that project activities are implemented in line with Ugandan and WHO guidelines and best practices for malaria control and elimination.
- Continuously build the capacity and knowledge of project staff
- Develop partnerships and relationships with key in-country stakeholders
- Support the project team to prepare annual work plans and reports
Collect, distill, and disseminate malaria control and elimination best practices to inform donors and other stakeholders
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
- Relevant bachelor’s degree, relevant master’s degree preferred
- At least 8 years’ experience working on malaria control programs in Uganda or similar context
- Fluent in English, a plus
- Demonstrated global malaria technical knowledge with established reputation for excellence in malaria control
- Ability to coordinate and work effectively with diverse stakeholders in numerous locations and levels, including private partners, donors, government officials and bodies, technical experts, civil society organizations, community members and organizations and project support staff
- Demonstrated knowledge on malaria control and experience in managing a malaria program
- Sound technical knowledge of malaria and vector control policy and context in Tanzania or another similar context
- Experience mentoring others in best practices and the development of malaria control and elimination strategies
- Excellent writing and presentation ability
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate will be required to past a background check.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: email@example.com or call (202)785-0072.