Sr. Program Manager
Based in Washington DC
Up to 25% international travel
Reports to Deputy Project Director
Who we are?
We’re Population Services International (PSI) and from day one we have taken measures to make health products, services and information more accessible. The form this takes continues to evolve; whereas PSI was once a social marketing organization, PSI has used its marketing DNA to now develop a large footprint in many elements of a functioning health market, from social franchising of services through to strategic purchasing and collaboration between private and public sector stakeholders. PSI does not do this alone – PSI relies on a wide range of strategic partnerships to contribute to Universal Health Coverage.
There are over 8,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI seeks an experienced Senior Program Manager to help a prospective global program. The focus of the role is to work with project leadership and partners to support field programs to address supply- and demand-side opportunities, as well strengthen the enabling environment, to expand access to quality health information, products, and services through the private sector. You don’t have to be a health expert, this position leads with project management and people skills, although being able to speak health programming in the context of development assistance is a big plus.
The Sr. Program Manager will lead people in the creation of excellent workplans, budgets, reports and ensure responsiveness to our donor(s). The tasks will range from leading workplan creation with a field team and/or partner organization, facilitating good knowledge management and communications, and ensuring global compliance with the terms and conditions of the contract.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Your strong project and stakeholder management skills leads to smooth and successful implementation in the field, to effective accountability and the creation of global value/goods.
- The donor being satisfied with the program management and effective compliance leads to sustained/increased funding.
- Working in partnership with the project Deputy Director, PSI Market Groupings (regional offices) and the country teams, lead/coordinate/support effective organization and delivery of country programs delivered by this project
- Support the Deputy Director to manage partnerships/Sub Awards as well as agreed aspects of the core workplan, maximizing the flow of technical content and support between field support and global goals of the program
- Responding in a timely and effective manner to donor requests relating to management of the contractual obligations with the overall award.
- In partnership with the Deputy Director, oversight of the financial performance and compliance across the whole project (note; there is a Financial Analyst overseeing budgets and expenditure, with a dotted management line to this position). This responsibility means ensuring e.g. regular monitoring of project burn rates and deliverables, preparing donor invoices and developing and realigning donor budgets
- Work in partnership with the Deputy Director to effectively manage the workload of the project’s Assistant Program Manager (APM)
- In partnership with the Deputy Director, develop and submit in a timely fashion quarterly and annual progress reports; sub award management; and proposal development where applicable.
- Advise all project leadership and other key stakeholders on relevant issues; keeping them informed of significant developments and issues pertaining to the portfolio or impacting operations overall.
- Serve as focal point for between this project, PSI’s HIV Department and countries where programs have feature significant HIV programmatic components.
- Perform other responsibilities as necessary.
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Collaboration: You can work independently, but thrive within a team.
Trust: You trust that your manager and team will have your back and care deeply about gaining that same trust from your teammates
Pragmatism: You dive in and maintain momentum even when things are ambiguous and you don’t let perfect get in the way of good enough.
Honesty: You aren’t afraid to speak up and speak your mind.
Measurement: You set clear and challenging goals and hold yourself accountable to driving measurable results.
Commitment: You’re independent and a free thinker, but you’re ready to buy in to the direction of the team and commit to its success.
- You have at least eight years relevant work experience, including substantial experience in program management and start up, and ideally 2 years of overseas work experience, so that you understand the reality of delivering health programs at country level
- You have relevant and up to date experience with donor program/contract management, including experience of liaising directly with a donor and program partners
- When something needs organizing and delivering, you are the person who often leads the way –You area self-starter, can marshal others effectively and you strive to make systems better.
- You have at least 2 years of staff management / supervisory experience.
- You can readily perform a variety of tasks on short notice within designated deadlines and keep cool under pressure.
- You have a Bachelor degree; a relevant post-graduate degree (MPH, MIA, MBA, etc.) or equivalent experience is an advantage.
- You are a team player; this project stands and falls on the combined success of hundreds of people
- Technical support and/or program implementation experience in health is a plus
- French language skills are a plus
- The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check.
- References will be required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States.
What would get us excited?
Detail-oriented. You make sure things are done right and have an eye and aptitude for professional presentation.
Good with people. You are a strong facilitator of meetings and workshops and can organize a room of people to move in the same direction.
Strong Interpersonal and Communication Skills. You are able to get results from many people across diverse backgrounds and geographies. You are an excellent writer.
A “can-do” Attitude. You can juggle multiple competing deadlines without getting overly flustered and with a sense of humour.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202)785-0072.