Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in Procurement Division 2 within the Procurement, Portfolio and Financial Management (PPFD). PPFD’s responsibilities in terms of consulting services include: (a) providing consulting governance and related policy advice to operational departments and Management; (b) advising on consulting services transactions during project design and implementation; (c) processing and approving consulting services transactions as specified in consulting services guidelines and related operations manual (OM), project administration instructions (PAIs) and Staff Instructions (SIs); (d) preparing, issuing, and amending contracts for consulting services; (e) reviewing and advising on PAI and SI procedures and OM provisions on consulting, and preparing guidelines, manuals and handbooks on consultant recruitment; (f) managing and assisting in design of automated consultant systems to improve transactional efficiency; (g) leading interagency engagement on consulting, procurement issues; (h) leading consulting services innovation and efficiency initiatives, including conducting selected studies; and (i) designing and delivering trainings on various aspects of consultancy procurement.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Procurement Officer provides in-depth technical expertise and operational support in engaging consultants for ADB-administered TA projects, as well as administering and monitoring the accepted contracts; assisting in the formulation and improvement of policies and procedures on consultant engagements and in the preparation of reports and statistics on use of consultants; systems review; conducting orientations; and general administration of the Individual Consultant System (ICS) unit. At this level, the incumbent is expected to undertake assigned leading responsibilities, and demonstrate thorough substantial and diverse experience, and ability to undertake a variety of assignments, and to generally work independently or with a team with minimal supervision. The incumbent will report to the Head of Consulting Services unit and will supervise Administrative Staff.
- Leads the ICS sub-unit for PPFD; oversees the processing, administration and implementation of the Consultant Management System (CMS)/ICS and ensure consistency in approach and uniformity in the application of ADB policies and guidelines among all the sub-units.
- Acts as overall coordinator/administrator of CMS/ICS improvement efforts, including directly liaising with Information Technology Department and all other department-users.
- Engages individual consultants for TA projects by negotiating contracts, obtaining clarification where terms are unacceptable, and finalizing recommendations ensuring that negotiated agreements are in accordance with ADB policies and guidelines.
- Facilitates consultant mobilization and the interface of consulting firms/individual by ensuring that proper contract documents and remuneration requirements are applied.
- Leads efforts to train departments in the proper evaluation of TOR job levels, matching of TOR to experts work and educational qualifications, preparation of contract cost estimates, and documentary requirements for recruitment of consultants in accordance with the PAI and SI.
- Coordinates efforts with Consultant Administration unit to ensure consistency in the application of ADB policies and guidelines.
- Reviews and updates per diem rates and housing allowances regularly.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned by the position’s immediate supervisor, specialist and/or manager.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree or equivalent, in Accounting, Engineering or Law; or Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Engineering or Law; and at least 5 years as incumbent National Staff (for ADB staff), preferably with advanced training
- At least 8 years relevant experience; and at least 4 years of supervisory experience (if applicable).
- Highly skilled in dealing with consultants of various organizations, cultures and countries
- Ability and confidence to negotiate with consultants and to justify decisions to IS level colleagues.
- In-depth knowledge of the consulting profession as well as ADB’s policies, guidelines and practices on engagement and administration of consultants.
- Broad knowledge of the ADB-adopted computer applications and familiarity with existing database management systems and with other similar systems.
- Able to mentor and manage Administrative Staff to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member
- Strong planning and organizing skills to handle many tasks with deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for National Staff Levels 3 – 4
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.