This is a special fixed-term appointment for a period of three (3) years following Section 3.1 (c.) of Administrative Order No. 2.01 (“Recruitment and Appointment’). This appointment is not convertible to a regular appointment. It may be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period at the option of ADB.
Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9)
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture Division (EAER) in the East Asia Regional Department (EARD). EAER provides lending and non-lending assistance in agricultural and rural development, and environmental protection and natural resources management. Under agricultural and rural development, EAER specifically operates in (i) sustainable agricultural production and market development; (ii) rural renewable energy development; and (iii) agricultural infrastructure (e.g., irrigation, drainage, and access roads) development and management. Under environmental protection and natural resources management, EAER operates in (i) policy, institutional, and technology development of environmental management (e.g., waste and wastewater management, soil contamination control, emission trading, and payment for environmental services); (ii) natural resources management (e.g., forestry development, integrated water resource management, wetland and/or lakes conservation, and biodiversity and ecosystem management); and (iii) natural disaster risk management. EAER also assists in developing projects for climate change adaptation and mitigation; and incorporating feasible adaptation and mitigation measures (e.g., greenhouse gas reduction, carbon sequestration, and land degradation improvement) in its operation. EAER also provides policy support and assistance in knowledge development and sharing using its vast knowledge accumulated through its operation.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Operations Assistant will perform secretarial, administrative and operational support services for various activities of the Division including providing statistical and analytical support to project processing and administration. The incumbent will report to the designated International Staff and senior National Staff.
- Ensures that all correspondence and documents for supervisor are correctly typed and prepared in compliance with ADB’s standards. Independently composes and sends out routine letters. Drafts more complex correspondence for signature of supervisor.
- Ensures the effective coordination of supervisor’s schedule by maintaining diaries and arranging appointments, meetings, travel and accommodation as specified by the supervisor and in accordance with ADB procedures.
- Tracks the flow of documents with the use of database for effective monitoring to meet deadlines.
- Provides assistance as to the application/interpretation of work area procedures, guidelines and formats to junior administrative staff.
- Assists International Staff in preparing Board documents (reports and recommendation of the president, technical assistance reports, project and technical assistance completion reports) through eOps, and ensures that the documents are in accordance with the latest ADB template and Handbook of Style and Usage. Coordinates and monitors the division’s technical assistance (TAs) under processing and coordinates with other staff to ensure project processing information system (PPIS) is updated; monitors progress and status of activities of loan and TA projects under processing and downloads the reports on a regular basis for use by the international staff.
- Assists in the administration of TA projects including the selection process of TA consultants, processing of claims, processing of contract variations, and preparation of TA completion reports. Checks regularly TA performance report (TPR) and TA information system (TAIS) database for progress on TA under implementation. Joins TA review missions as needed to guide executive agency’s (EA) consultant procurement or disbursement management.
- Collects, compiles and analyzes relevant information and data related to the supervisors’ work to produce routine and/or ad hoc statistics/reports as instructed.
- Supports EAER to facilitate knowledge management activities. Creates and maintains a calendar of the division’s knowledge management activities.
- Coordinates the various activities such as meeting arrangements of supervisors following the supervisor’s instructions.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned and reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience.
- Good working knowledge of TA and loan processing procedures, ADB’s templates of loan and TA documents, eOperations system and Technical Assistant Information System (TAIS), and other software products, an advantage
- Advanced computer skills with sound knowledge of common word-processing, spreadsheets and graphics software used in multilateral organizations
- Able to coordinate proper distribution of tasks among other administrative staff
- Able to work with individuals from different cultural/national backgrounds
- Thorough understanding of the role and function of the division/office/department and a good general understanding of the organization’s purpose
- Able to exercise judgement on matters of confidentiality and those requiring urgent attention especially in the supervisor’s absence
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for Administrative Staff levels 4-5
The selected candidate is appointed for 3 years special fixed term.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.