Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
The position title on the appointment is Senior Evaluation Specialist.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The Independent Evaluation Department (IED) independently and systematically evaluates ADB policies, strategies, operations, and special concerns that relate to organizational and operational effectiveness. The position is assigned in the Sector and Project Division (IESP) within the IED.
IESP provides evaluation feedback on performance and generates and disseminates evaluation lessons. The division is primarily responsible for evaluations and validations at the sector-level and on individual sovereign lending and Technical Assistance (TA) operations. IESP will cover sectors, such as energy, transport, water, urban, finance, and agriculture and natural resources. It shall also be responsible for evaluations and validations of non-sovereign operations.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Evaluation Specialist (Private Sector) provides specialized expertise in independent evaluations of sovereign and non-sovereign operations, with greater primary focus on non-sovereign operations. S/he leads and/or contributes to evaluation, knowledge management and capacity building activities requiring high level expertise as a subject matter expert.
The Senior Evaluation Specialist (Private Sector) focuses on sector and project-level evaluations and validations and other evaluation activities in line with the department’s work program and protocols. S/he will lead and/or contribute to activities related to evaluating ADB policies and business processes, and on thematic issues across sectors or countries, particularly on ADB’s operational areas in infrastructure and finance sector development and private sector development.
S/he (i) works with teams, with guidance from IED Management, to design the evaluation approach papers and select the methods and approaches that are most adapted to the object of evaluation; (ii) engages with operations and board members as needed and conducts desk and field work in Asia and the Pacific; (iii) draws key lessons from evaluations and their implications for improving development effectiveness and provides recommendations on key issues for ADB action; and (iv) participates actively in dissemination and outreach events and activities to share the evaluation findings, lessons and recommendations with internal and external audiences. S/he leads and/or contributes to teams consisting of international, national, and administrative staff.
The incumbent will report to Director, IESP and may supervise National and Administrative staff.
- Leads and/or contributes to preparing high-level evaluations which may include: (i) country-sector program evaluations/validations; (ii) cross cutting corporate, sector-wide and thematic evaluations, with focus on infrastructure and finance sector development and private sector operations; and (iii) the Annual Evaluation Review report;
- Contributes and/or prepares systematic reviews, synthesis notes, topical papers, working papers and other evaluation products, with focus on infrastructure and finance sector development and private sector operations;
- Prepares project/program and technical assistance (TA) performance evaluation reports concerning infrastructure and finance sector development and private sector operations; Contributes to joint evaluations on select projects with development partners;
- Leads and/or contributes to the preparation and quality assurance initiatives on validations of project/program completion reports for sectors covered by the division;
- Provides comments on draft evaluation reports and ADB operational documents according to his/her skills and specialization;
- Disseminates evaluation findings and promotes learning from evaluations in ADB, among development partners and developing member countries; and
- Performs other tasks as assigned by Division Director or duties that may be assigned as reflected in the incumbent’s work plan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in public administration, engineering, finance, business administration, economics or development studies; university degree in any of these fields and at least 5 years specialized experience relevant to the position can be considered;
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in the areas of private sector operations, infrastructure and/or finance sector development;
- Experience in project, sector and country/regional operations (e.g., country portfolio and program, institutions, policy) and/or development evaluation and outreach in developing countries; Relevant experience in the Asia-Pacific region is preferred;
- Significant expertise in a specific sector/theme area or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area: private sector operations, infrastructure and finance sector development;
- Familiarity with development strategy, policy, issues, and practices, in a multilateral and/or bilateral context is desired;
- Aptitude toward applied research and preparing evaluations is desired; conducting country/sector/project-level analysis including operational, economic, institutional and policy analysis and reforms, macroeconomics, economic and financial analysis;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English;
- Ability to perform effectively as a team leader, exercising supervision, coordination, and planning responsibilities over multi-disciplinary unit;
- Ability to conceptualize and evaluate complex development issues and problems, and to carry out effective communication and dialogue on these topics; and
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 5.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on the qualifications of the selected candidate.