Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Safeguards Division (SDSS) within the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department. The Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department provides leadership, innovation, and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work. SDSS provide policy oversight and technical guidance to ADB operations on the implementation of the ADB Safeguard Policy Statement, as well as the mainstreaming of environment.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Environment Specialist will provide policy guidance, technical advice and support to operations on environmental safeguards. The staff will participate and lead internal and external working groups on safeguard policy implementation, while developing and sharing knowledge on environment and safeguard issues and best practices. The incumbent will report to Director, Safeguards Division and will supervise national and administrative staff.
- Strategy and Planning. Promote the implementation of ADB’s Safeguards Policy Statement, while contributing to further safeguard policy development and reform. In addition, provide linked support for Strategy 2030 operational priorities for environmental sustainability.
- Operations Advice and Support. Advise ADB operations on ADB safeguard policy requirement and compliance risks associated with the design and implementation of environmentally sensitive projects and identify necessary mitigation measures and corrective actions, taking into consideration international good practices. Support the development of environmental and social management systems with ADB clients in the financial sector. Conduct training and capacity building activities for staff, executing agencies of developing member countries (DMCs), and other concerned parties on environmental management, and safeguard issues. Provide DMCs with support to strengthen country safeguard systems and implementation practices.
- Knowledge Generation and Sharing. Lead in developing and disseminating knowledge products and services on environmental management and safeguard issues. Lead bank-wide working groups on technical issues on environmental safeguards. Participate in global and regional safeguard working groups with other multi-lateral financial institutions on the sharing of good practices. Conduct training and capacity building activities for staff, executing agencies of developing member countries (DMCs), and other concerned parties on environmental management, and safeguard issues. Provide DMCs with support to strengthen country safeguard systems and implementation practices.
- Regional Cooperation. Process and implement regional technical assistance on safeguard good practices, innovation and capacity, as well as the delivery of global and regional public goods.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree in Environmental Management, Environment Policy, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Economics, or relevant fields. Alternatively, university degree in Environmental Management, Environment Policy, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Economics, or relevant fields, combined with specialized 10-year experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant professional international experience, working in development in several countries in Asia and the Pacific
- Multidisciplinary competence combined with broad expertise in the environmental management of projects in several sectors
- Broad experience in environmental management, including pollution prevention and control
- Significant experience in environmental assessment of complex/sensitive projects
- Knowledge of policy and regulatory frameworks for environmental management in DMCs, environmental standards and good practices
- Familiarity with the operations, policies and procedures of multilateral financing institutions, and experience in processing and implementation of loans and technical assistance projects
- Familiarity with corporate sustainability issues and sustainability reporting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS5
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.