Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned to the Transport and Communications Division (SATC) within the South Asia Department (SARD). SARD is responsible for providing leadership innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work that covers operations in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. SATC, is responsible for sector support for transport and communications development in SARD’s jurisdiction.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Environment Specialist will lead environment-related tasks in transport and communications projects in South Asia, and be responsible for ensuring compliance with ADB’s safeguard policies on environment, including preparation of assessments on environment and climate change, and identification of opportunities for climate change financing in support of the SATC‘s loan and Technical Assistance (TA) operations. The incumbent will assist with developing and implementing environment safeguards for transport and communications projects and contribute to the development of policies and strategies that will support the broader environmental sustainability and climate change agenda of ADB. In addition, the incumbent will take the lead in the development of loans and TA for capacity building and identification of opportunities of potential ADB projects with an environment focus. The incumbent will also leverage on specialized knowledge and experience as well as contribute to bank-wide transport sector operations. The incumbent will report to the Director, SATC and will supervisor National and Administrative Staff.
- Lead the environment-related tasks in the division in providing advice, building capacity, and advancing the development of safeguards implementation plans and tools within the division and on an ADB-wide context.
- Lead the preparation of a strategic framework and work plan to build and sustain the division’s effectiveness in addressing safeguards issues in country program development and loan processing/administration.
- Ensure that appropriate resources and capacity are deployed to effectively cover the safeguards and climate change related activities of projects in preparation and implementation in the division. This includes preparing TORs and cost estimates for consultants and other environment safeguards and climate change activities.
- Lead and facilitate as needed liaison and contact with clients, non-government organizations (NGOs), development partners, and within ADB, including coordinating responses to NGO
- Take charge of public information and disclosure initiatives.
- Manage and coordinate formal and informal responses to complaints related to environmental safeguards.
- Take the lead of environment and climate change aspects of loans and TAs in ensuring compliance with environmental safeguards in coordination with project tasks managers.
- Finalize environment assessments, environment management plans, and other related reports and documents as required to support loan, contracting, and TA operations and ensure compliance with ADB’s safeguard policy requirements
- Finalize climate change assessments for both adaptation and mitigation to ensure compliance with ADB’s climate change requirements
- Take the lead to identify and pursue opportunities for climate change financing, and to address environment safeguard issues and environmental sustainability during the project identification, project design, loan processing and project implementation phases of the project cycle.
- Ensure the final products meet ADB requirements.
- Advise borrowers, executing agencies, project sponsors, consultants and NGOs on ADB’s environmental policies, procedures and best practices; and assist them in preparing appropriate frameworks, plans and actions to address identified issues.
- Lead, develop and administer as needed technical assistance and other training programs for capacity building relating to environment safeguards, environmental sustainability and climate change.
- Take charge in identifying, assessing, and monitoring the overall capacity building needs on environmental safeguards, environmental sustainability and climate change among clients.
- Lead the conduction of project specific and subject specific training programs on environment safeguards and climate change for relevant clients.
- Track and supervise project and operational matters for monitoring of safeguards policy compliance.
- Lead, identify, monitor and report to division and department management on projects with high environmental safeguards sensitivity.
- Provide technical knowledge and experience to support the internal and external training, as well as conferences on environment and other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building.
- Develop knowledge products on best practices, innovations and specialized subjects related to environment safeguards and climate change that were developed or implemented under investment projects or TAs
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Supervise and manage the performance and deliverables of consultants to ensure that required outputs are delivered in an efficient and timely manner.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree in Science, Environmental Science/Management or other related specialized fields. University degree in Science, Environmental Science/Management. University degree combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Minimum of 12 years of relevant professional experience in environmental and safeguards work including at least 5 years international project experience, with a record of promoting and applying innovations. Experience of multilateral development agencies will be given higher preference;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Demonstrated experience with corporate coordination and communications;
- Demonstrated experience in building effective external partnerships, knowledge dissemination and communication;
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 5.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.