Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the BOD Staff Services within the Board of Directors.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Board Assistant will provide administrative functions of a responsible and confidential nature to members of the Board of Directors, be responsible for day-to-day office administration and coordinate internal and external communication while maintaining confidentiality and practice professional discretion, as well as technical and analytical support services. The incumbent will report to the designated International Staff.
a. Communications Internal and External Contacts
- Provides efficient reception services by screening incoming telephone calls, taking accurate messages, dealing with queries from authorities in capitals of constituency member countries, embassies/consulates and other agencies of constituency member countries, consultants, businesspersons, NGOs, media representatives, and others, establishing the nature and priority of requirements of unexpected visitors to ensure that they are attended to in a timely manner.
- Responds to memos/correspondence on behalf of the Director’s Advisors and the Constituency office, and produces draft replies for less complex issues. Ensures that all final correspondence and documents for supervisors are correctly typed, edited and prepared. Ensures that all incoming mail is properly distributed and promptly attended to and outgoing mail is delivered on time.
- Liaises with authorities in capitals of constituency member countries, embassies/consulates, and other agencies of constituency member countries under the Assistant’s responsibility and ADB staff at Headquarters and Resident Missions.
- Ensures all ADB documents are prepared and transmitted to authorities in capitals of constituency member countries, including Governors of ADB, to embassies/consulates and to other agencies in a timely manner.
- Coordinates visits and provides assistance to needs of visitors to ADB and the Constituency office from authorities in capitals of constituency member countries and other agencies and representatives from business, NGOs, and media in their presentation and meetings with ADB.
- Provides administrative support relating to the daily and long-term schedules of the DAs and ensures appropriate arrangements are made for meetings, travel, accommodation and events.
- Performs other tasks which involve a wide scope of ADB-related responsibilities and wide knowledge of ADB’s administrative arrangements and those of authorities of constituency member government’s requirements.
- Ensures that the Director’s Advisors’ instructions are passed on to appropriate ADB staff for proper action and monitors the status of replies.
- Assists incoming senior visitors under the Assistant’s responsibility or when acting as backup for another Assistant.
- Prepares and coordinates trade missions and visits of firms and consultants of the countries of our constituents.
d. Data Analysis and Report Generation
- Under direction, compiles statistical data, prepares reports, and performs research assignments for authorities of constituency member countries and for the Constituency office.
- Provides support in analyzing Board proposals (mostly projects) and summarizes and presents them coherently to senior members of the Constituency office.
- Provides assistance in the assessment of Board documents, mostly Reports and Recommendations of the President (RRPs), by identifying areas in Board documents that are relevant and of interest to the Constituency office, discussing with Board colleagues, and relevant staff and external resources as required.
- Attends, as necessary, pre-Board briefing meetings, Board meetings, Informal Board seminars, and other relevant meetings, and reports back to colleagues and capitals.
- Assists in preparing assessments of larger Board cases by collecting and providing relevant information in Board documents and other sources, for respective capitals and for smaller cases, summary assessments and recommendations to other relevant Suites.
- Compiles and prepares briefing/progress reports for supervisor as requested. Compiles and assists in the interpretation of statistics, such as on co-financing or volume of contracts for relevant member countries.
e. Office Administration
- Provides back-up for other assistants as requested.
- Handles classified information in accordance with security arrangements of ADB and of constituency member governments.
- Ensures together with the other Assistants the office filing systems and records are properly maintained and updated in accordance with existing ADB and the Constituency office’s requirements.
- Performs any other duties as may be required and reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience as executive assistant handling senior executives.
- Able to work independently and on flexible hours to accommodate time-zone differences of capitals and of constituency member countries.
- Exemplary planning, coordination and time management skills using MS Outlook and MS Teams.
- Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills in English
- Thorough understanding or willingness to acquire of ADB organization and in-depth knowledge of ADB’s diverse procedures and operations.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills, as well as typing, editing and proofreading skills with good attention to details.
- Advanced computer skills and familiarity with commonly used computer systems, word-processing, spreadsheet, graphics and desktop publishing software used within ADB (proficiency in MS Office Suite [Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, SharePoint]).
- Familiarity in videoconferencing tools (MS Teams, Zoom, Webex)
- Must be willing to learn new software and willing to be trained.
- Strong coordination, interpersonal and diplomatic skills to interface effectively and diplomatically with, staff, consultants, clients and other internal stakeholders throughout ADB. Able to work collaboratively within teams as constructive team member. Able to liaise and work effectively with individuals from different cultural/national backgrounds.
- Ability to make quick procedural decisions and judgments, with a strong sense and respect for confidentiality and privileged information.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for Administrative Staff Levels 4-5.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.