The primary function of the Safety & Security Manager is to advise the Executive Director and Director of Operations on all issues of safety and security as they relate to staff and assets at a program site. The Safety & Security Manager oversees daily security management of a country program site location and as well as trains and mentors Safety and Security Point People. The Safety & Security Manager will monitor and assess security conditions and makes recommendations to the Executive Director and leadership team as appropriate.
- Develop and update the security guidelines and SOPs with support from the Safety and Security Program Manager in Boston
- Coordinate and monitor security activities to ensure that safety and security policies and procedures are implemented
- Ensure that all staff and visitors are fully cognizant of prevailing security threats and fully advised on means to reduce staff vulnerability to those threats
- Design and drill warden systems, emergency radio networks, and provision of emergency supplies for staff and visitors
- Ensure internal incident tracking system is utilized properly and perform incident mapping and analysis
- Collect security related information from local and regional resources as it applies to sites and communicate with Executive Director, Safety team, and Boston team as appropriate
- Monitor the security preparedness of country staff and work with PIH to enforce staff compliance with internal security policies and SOPs
- When directed by the Executive Director, leadership team, or Boston, carry out investigations and capture lessons learned to be incorporated into future staff training
- Act as a key member of the Field Incident Team when required during a crisis so that safety policies and procedures are implemented
- Ensure logistics follow a servicing and maintenance schedule for vehicles
- Audit communications equipment and facilitate communications-related assistance when necessary.
- Recommend changes in country security plans to Executive Director , leadership team, and Boston when necessary
- Ensure monthly security reports are completed and sent to safety team providing timely updates of all situational and security developments including investigation of security incidents
- Keep excellent record and logs to ensure continuity of this position
- Identify and empower Safety and Security Point People in country
- Make frequent site visits to facilities to carry out security assessments and ensure appropriate care and training are being conducted
- Maintain open lines of communications with all field staff
- Determine training needs for the security staff with the Security Company
- Train national staff to increase their responsibilities in order to build capacity and ensure sustainability
- Work with Director of Operations to conduct any staff security training that is warranted.
- Work closely with the Safety and Security Program Manager in Boston to ensure country safety and security program is compatible with the global program
- Maintain excellent working relationships as a member of the country team senior management
- Build strong professional relationships with UN agencies, local authorities, other NGO’s (local and international), and all relevant stakeholders
- Attend security coordination meetings and update Executive Director, and leadership team on current security issues
- Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organizations Code of Conduct, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to internal and external actors
- 4-5 years’ work experience in Security Management, preferably in Africa or a resource poor setting.
- Must have experience in unstable and resource deprived environments.
- Strong understanding of cultural, political and religious environment in the region, and be able to live and work successfully in those environments.
- Experience in conducting operations safely and efficiently in areas of natural and man-made disasters.
- Practical experience and knowledge of Risk, Threat and Vulnerability assessments, conflict mitigation and advanced first aid.
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal an organization skills.
- Ability to live in West Africa full-time.