Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Risk Policy and Architecture Division (RMPA) within the Office of Risk Management (ORM). ORM has a broad mandate and ensures that ADB’s sovereign and private sector operations are sustainable by safeguarding ADB’s rating, advising Board and Management on risk issues and the implementation and management of strong internal risk cultures.
RMPA establishes and maintains policies, procedures, and tools for risk management that are consistent with those of other MDBs and prudent banking principles. The principal responsibilities of RMPA include: (i) establishment and maintenance of best practice policies, methods and procedures for credit, market and operational risk; (ii) development and maintenance of tools and systems to support enterprise-wide risk management; (iii) establishment and maintenance of a Ratings Desk; (iv) analysis, rating, and monitoring of the creditworthiness of ADB’s sovereign borrowers; and (v) reporting to management on the aggregate risks in ADB´s operations, including compliance with limits and the adequacy of loss reserves and capital, through the Quarterly Risk Management Report.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Risk Management Specialist develops, implements, and maintains a comprehensive risk management framework, including policies, methodologies, and IT systems; and works with departments across organization lines to improve processes, tools, and guidelines as appropriate.
The incumbent will report to Director, RMPA and may supervise national and administrative staff.
a. Risk Management
- Develops, implements and maintains best practice policies, processes, methods and tools for identification, measurement, and management of the risk in ADB’s lending and treasury operations.
b. Knowledge Sharing
- Liaises with peer multilateral development banks to share knowledge on policies, methodologies and related techniques used in credit risk management.
- Maintains liaison with other financial institutions to obtain best practices on credit management policies and guidelines.
- Remains abreast of new developments relating to risk within the financial industry, including regulatory environment, rating agencies, and theoretical disciplines.
- Maintains knowledge of emerging best practices and standards in risk management.
- Leads and supports training of staff to promote a sound risk culture in ADB.
c. Staff Supervision
- Provides leadership and support to reporting staff.
- Supervises the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Coaches and mentors reporting staff to ensure their ongoing learning and development.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- A university degree in finance, economics, or related fields preferably at post-graduate level or its equivalent.
- At least 6 years of risk management and/or bank examination experience from a financial institution, rating agency, credit insurer or bank supervisor.
- Practical experience in implementing frameworks for economic capital and loss provisioning.
- Strong project management and execution skills, including the ability to effectively drive complex, multifaceted matters to conclusion in an aggressive timeframe.
- Familiarity with Risk-Adjusted Return On Capital (RAROC) pricing, performance measurement, and Basel II/III.
- Knowledge of emerging best practices in risk management, capital adequacy, disclosure, income recognition and loss provisioning.
- Strong analytical capabilities, leadership qualities and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a multicultural and highly flexible team environment that relies heavily on cross-functional interaction.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS3 and IS4.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.