About Social Impact
Social Impact (SI) is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
SI is implementing the USAID/Vietnam Learns Contract. The scope of the five-year activity is to support USAID/Vietnam staff and its implementing partners to implement more efficient, effective, and sustainable programs by (1) improving staff knowledge and skills in Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) and Collaborating, Learning & Adapting (CLA); (2) advancing evidence-informed decision-making; (3) strengthening strategic collaboration between staff and local stakeholders.
SI is seeking a full-time Research Specialist to support the planning and implementation of studies, assessments, and performance evaluations conducted for USAID/Vietnam. The Research Specialist will also support ongoing learning efforts across the Mission. This is a full-time position for up to three years with the possibility of extension. The position is based in Hanoi, Vietnam with limited travel within Vietnam. This position will report to the Research Director. The position will provide supervisory support for consultants but will not have direct supervisory responsibilities. The expected start date is October 2020.
**Please Note: This is a local position. Only Vietnamese citizens are eligible to apply.**
Coordinate Study, Assessment, and Evaluation Implementation
- Coordinate and manage studies, assessments, and evaluations across USAID/Vietnam portfolios.
- Scope new research efforts, ensuring that there is clear use for the research
- Manage project schedules and task trackers to ensure timely and quality deliverables.
- Organize travel, meetings, interviews, and other data collection events and capture notes from events.
- Review research inception reports and designs.
- Coordinate the process of report drafting and finalization and ensure quality control.
- Engage USAID, implementers, and stakeholders for collaborative input in the design, implementation, and use of research.
- Provide technical input and oversight on research design, implementation, reporting, and utilization in line with Social Impact’s Evaluation Quality, Use, and Impact (EQUI) guidance and standards and coordinate receiving technical input from multiple stakeholders.
- Guide research teams on research design, implementation, reporting, and utilization. Participate in and potentially conduct focus group discussions (FGD), key informant interviews (KII), and other data collection methods.
- Recruit local and international consultants to carry out research.
- Create research briefs and products based on full reports.
- Cultivate long-term relationships with Vietnamese researchers, government counterparts, and stakeholders to foster willingness to engage in research activities over time.
- Ensure high quality of consultant work and mentor to improve quality as needed.
- Other responsibilities as defined by the Research Director
Support USAID and Stakeholder Learning and Use
- Work closely with Learns staff to:
- Support planning for after-action reviews and utilization-focused learning events for each research activity with USAID.
- Continuously build systems, relationships, and activities that will foster greater utilization and improved knowledge management.
- Build USAID capacity to link research evidence to decision making, design, and adaptive management.
- Make research results user friendly and easily accessible through the development of learning briefs, knowledge management systems, events, etc.
- Track evidence use by USAID and other stakeholders and report on Learns’ performance indicators related to evidence use and collaboration.
- Encourage ongoing learning and reflection in the implementation of research activities.
- Other responsibilities as defined by the Research Director
- BA/BS degree in international development, research, social sciences, public policy, or related fields.
- At least 8 years of experience of relevant work experience
- Technical skills and work experience ideally includes
- Work in the field of monitoring and evaluation of development programming.
- Experience coordinating and/or conducting research using both quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Demonstrated knowledge of research methodologies and their practical applications.
- Familiarity with utilization-focused evaluation a plus.
- Familiarity with the USAID development programming strongly preferred.
- Required coordination and management skills
- Must have exceptional organizational, analytical, writing, and presentation skills.
- Ability to organize, manage, prioritize, and follow through on multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Proven capacity to take initiative and willingness to learn new skills as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with client and partner organizations.
- Fluency in English required.
- Candidates with a technical background in good governance and/or economic growth preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word and Excel, is required.
The closing date for application: September 13, 2020. Selection and interview will be performed constantly and interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.