The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a Research Analyst / Senior Research Analyst (RA/SRA) for a one-year, renewable appointment in its Markets, Trade and Institutions Division. The RA/SRA will work on multiple ongoing projects around crop monitoring to strengthen agricultural risk management using satellite and near-surface smartphone-based remote sensing. The RA/SRA will support these projects through data analytics and data science, project coordination, logistics management, fieldwork monitoring and reporting through research papers, briefs, reports, presentations and donor meetings. This position is based in New Delhi, India, and will involve regular travel to the field. Interested applicants must have work authorization to work in India.
Specific Duties include but are not limited to:
- Interact with project partners and coordinate fieldwork conducted to develop and test innovations in crop monitoring to strengthen agricultural risk management tested in Haryana, Odisha and Tamil Nadu
- Support data collection and project implementation in the field (including development of research instruments, sampling and randomization, and training of field staff)
- With supervision from collaborators, process and analyze satellite imagery and smartphone crop pictures, and apply crop simulation models, for crop monitoring and yield or loss predictions
- Prepare presentations, donor proposals, donor reports, discussion papers and publications, with a focus on using remote sensing and technology to strengthen agricultural risk management
- Travel as needed to conferences, as well as project sites, in particular the project research sites in Haryana, Odisha and Tamil Nadu
- Support activities related to communications and outreach activities (media engagement, writing blogs, preparation of research and policy briefs, technical workshops and stakeholder workshops)
- Other relevant duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in Remote Sensing or a closely related field and 3 years of relevant professional experience following the master’s degree
- At the Senior Research Analyst level – Masters degree in the field mentioned above and 5 years of relevant professional experience following the master’s degree
- Experience with project management, including experience with field-based project implementation
- Significant experience with satellite remote sensing and GIS
- Significant working knowledge of Matlab, Python and R.
- Excellent writing skills, analytical skills and presentation skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, along with the ability to work independently and with initiative, and with colleagues from diverse cultures.
- Sound knowledge of agriculture, agricultural economics and related fields
- Demonstrated ability to apply crop modeling approaches
- Experience analyzing rural household survey data from developing countries
- Basic working knowledge of Stata
- Fluency in written and spoken Hindi
- Econometric skills on cross-section, panel data, and/or time-series analysis.