Position: Regional Finance Officer/ Asia
Location: Philippines/ Remotely based
Reports to: Regional Finance Manger Asia
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a leading global humanitarian organization and home to teams of humanitarian and development professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
Position Summary: The Asia Regional Finance Officer is accountable as the regional finance focal point for the country offices (Afghanistan, Bangladesh & Pakistan) in the region. S/he is responsible for supporting the capacity building efforts of country office finance teams, providing oversight of country offices, ensuring compliance with local laws, regulations, RI and donor policies and procedures including quality and timely internal and external reporting, consolidating and monitoring regional activities, performing quality financial management analysis for decision support and providing gap filling for key finance positions in country offices. S/he will proactively work with the Global Finance Coordinator and HQ management on key issues and opportunities to find and implement solutions at the country office level.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Financial Accounting, Reporting, and Control:
- Under Supervision of Regional finance manage, provide leadership and coordination in the administrative, accounting, financial, reporting and budgeting processes RI Country offices assigned (Bangladesh, Pakistan, and Afghanistan). Oversee and support country offices in to implement, maintain and improve financial management system, policies and procedures.
- financial reports related to the Regional Office and Country Offices. Comprehensive reviews of Country Office financial reports to include performance analysis in the following areas: balance sheet, income statement, cash, grants/contracts, unrestricted and general contributions, actual expenses vs. budget, forecasting and budgeting, adequacy of adherence to generally accepted accounting principles and RI financial procedures.
- Ensure NS data are correct on monthly basis, reconcile intercompany accounts with the headquarters and making sure all transaction listing details are correct and BVAs in the system are accurate. Making sure all BVAs in USD, EURO and Local currency are uploaded by FMs and are accurate.
- Ensure Country Offices provide all required financial data (monthly, quarterly and annually) for review and consolidation and analysis, including budgets and forecasting data. Oversee Asia month end closing, produce monthly review and analysis of program BVAs.
- Support the Regional Office and Country Offices in cash management, receivables, budgeting and forecasting. Ensure management of budget is consolidated within a region and provide an overview of the regional situation and forecast.
- Provide ongoing supervision and feedback to Country Finance Managers to improve effectiveness in financial management. Work and travel within Asia region to provide training, leadership, oversight and direction to RI’s country finance staff in order to enhance and develop country finance staff’s capabilities within a growing and expanding organizations based on survey results, risk and need assessments.
- Provide leadership and manage the implementation of the NetSuite accounting system.
- Provide assistance to Regional Office and Country Offices in the preparation of their operational and donor budget and forecasting.
- Review and finalize proposal budgets and serve as primary liaison from finance department during the project period and grant management cycle including project kick off and mobilization, budget follow up and grant tracking, fund transfers and project close out and reporting.
- Provide policy clarifications and assistance to the Country Offices in understanding and complying with RI and donor policy and procedures including awards and contracts. Ensure when necessary direct communication with donor’s counterpart on financial issues.
- In collaboration with the Country Finance Managers and the regional finance manager, identify and implement preventive and corrective actions to address issues found during the reviews.
- Ensure that all financial records and backup documentation are archived monthly on the server and readily available for audits.
- Ensure compliance with donor rules and regulations. Perform compliance reviews of donor financial reports and finalizing the reports for submission.
- Provide support for UK and US statutory audit in preparing lead schedule of Debtors, Creditors and Interagency reconciliation, grants receivables, deferred income prepayment and accruals schedules and carrying out other audit preparation responsibilities assigned by the financial controller
- Ensures Country Offices are in compliance with local government Tax Law and tax reporting.
- Carry out regular support visits to countries if required, including the induction and training of newly recruited country key finance staff.
- Serve as primary liaison relate to countries internal and external audits during the fiscal year, including audit preparation, audit and post audit time. Support RI Internal audit and risk assessment in country offices. Provide support in proposing and implementing corrective action plans and response to audit finding.
- Provide coordination and support for regular Request for Funds from country offices and fund transfers.
- Perform other duties/ assignment as assigned.
Human Resources and Development
- Assist Country Offices with staffing issues and capacity building in RI accounting and finance systems and policies, accounting and financial management.
- Assess Country Office staffs’ ability to perform satisfactorily in financial management and to meet RI performance standards.
- Develop training materials and quick reference guides where necessary and conduct tailored training programs for Country Office finance staff in coordination with management in HQ and the regional unit.
- Provide orientation for new finance staff in country offices on RI policies and systems.
- Ensure all Country Offices have updated copies of the RI policy and procedures and help Country Offices develop local policies and procedures that are realistic and conform to general financial management principles.
Policy and Strategy Development
- Support management at HQ in talent review and management initiatives to develop and retain skilled country office finance staff.
- Support Regional and HQ management to incorporate high and medium risk issues into RI’s global risk register in quarterly Country Office financial reviews and contribute in recommending mitigation mechanisms.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation