Land O’Lakes Venture37 is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit committed to helping communities around the world build economies by strengthening local agriculture, helping agribusinesses create jobs and linking farmers to markets. Since 1981, it has implemented over 315 integrated dairy, livestock and crops development programs in nearly 80 countries — creating lasting impact by linking farmers, businesses, and the public and private sector in local and global contexts. Land O’Lakes Venture37’s long-standing affiliation with Land O’Lakes, Inc. sets it apart. Land O’Lakes, Inc. is one of America’s largest farmer-owned cooperatives. It supports Land O’Lakes Venture37 project implementation with nearly 100 years of expertise in dairy, animal nutrition, crop inputs and agricultural insights and technologies. This gives Land O’Lakes Venture37 development projects a unique global view of agriculture, food and the power of well-functioning market systems. Land O’Lakes, Inc. supports these efforts as part of its enterprise purpose of Feeding Human Progress at home and around the world.
The Transforming the Assessment and Inspection of Food Businesses in Egypt (TAIB) project is a five-year $8.5M project funded by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) that will expand domestic and international trade of Egyptian food products through supporting the establishment and scale-out of a new government entity, the National Food Safety Authority (NFSA). TAIB will provide technical and financial support to NFSA that is responsive to the evolving needs of the nascent regulatory authority. Assistance will be aimed at harmonizing Egyptian food law and regulations and international standards, implementing robust inspection systems, managing outbreaks, conducting science-based risk assessments, monitoring Egyptian food safety systems, and reducing food borne illnesses.
This project will be based primarily in and around Cairo with the potential for technical assistance to NFSA branch offices and other key food industry stakeholders throughout the country.
Position Summary and Primary Responsibilities: The Project Specialist will provide day to day implementation, management, operational and technical oversight for key initiatives across TAIB’s three activities. S/he will be an integral part of TAIB’s technical leadership team to design activities and will ensure that activities are planned and executed to maximize impact and in accordance with the timeframe set in TAIB’s annual work plan. S/he will serve as a technical resource for technical team, reviewing documents produced by other technical team members as well as producing their own technical documents. S/he will be expected to maintain active engagement and coordinate closely with TAIB’s key stakeholders including NFSA, Chamber of Food Industries and the private sector. The position will be responsible for coordinating with other technical specialists to ensure that implemented and planned activities are logged into TAIB’s adaptive management system and that impact information is recorded in TAIB’s cloud based monitoring and evaluation system. S/he will oversee short-term technical consultants and will report to the Technical Director / Deputy Chief of Party.
Primary responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to the following:
- Serve as the full-cycle project implementation lead for activities that may be across all three of TAIB’s components, ensuring activities are designed to maximize impact, executed on time and within budget, and in accordance with Venture37 and USDA polices and procedures. Illustrative activities may include: operationalizing Egypt’s import control system, preparing guidance for industry on NFSA’s regulatory requirements, implementing training events with NFSA and industry, improving NFSA’s operational efficiencies.
- Develops scopes of work and manages local consultants to ensure on-time delivery and high quality implementation.
- In cooperation with the Technical Team, ensure that activities are planned and logged into TAIB’s adaptive management work planning system and that impact data is recorded and properly filed.
- Lead the development and delivery of trainings, workshops and outreach events.
- Review technical documents and manuals produced by technical staff and consultants to ensure incorporation of international beset practices and acceptance with TAIB’s quality standards.
- In collaboration with TAIB’s Senior Management ensure that activities are being carried out in accordance with TAIB’s annual work plan. Be proactive in identifying constraints for activity implementation and proactive in suggesting and acting upon solutions.
- Liaise frequently with counterparts and key stakeholders involved in the food safety sector in Egypt to include government of Egypt counterparts, private sector trade organizations and companies, and other development projects.
- Prepare monthly and annual activity budgets for TAIB’s budget forecasting and work planning.
- Draft monthly and semi-annual activity reports for TAIB’s donor reporting.
- Ensure project activities comply with LOL policies and that technical information is captured, recorded and stored according to the project’s internal MEL Plan and in accordance with LOL policies.
- Monitor technical budgets to ensure that expenditures are within approved budget parameters and meet appropriate financial reporting and regulatory requirements.
Reporting & Supervision:
The position reports to the Technical Director / Deputy Chief of Party. The position supervises local technical consultants.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Extensive knowledge of the food safety sector in Egypt, particularly with key governmental stakeholders including the new National Food Safety Authority (NFSA), Ministry of Health, Ministry of Industry and Trade, EGAC, etc.
- Experience working and cooperating with public and private sector stakeholders throughout the agriculture sector.
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing project implementation plans including technical activities, budgeting and monitoring and evaluation.
- At least five years of experience managing donor-funded projects or activities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to execute project activities on-time and within budget.
- Fluency in English and Arabic.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls will be accepted.
Land O’Lakes never requests money or payment from candidates for any position type. Please report any such requests to Land O’Lakes.