Blumont seeks a Project Director to manage a DFID-funded Building resilience and adaptation to climate extremes and disasters programme (BRACED) in Mali: http://www.braced.org/. The successful candidate will provide strategic and programmatic leadership to the staff and partner consortium to implement the project according to predetermined timelines and budgets and in compliance with Blumont and donor standards. She/he will be the principal interface with Donor and host government institutions, providing regular and responsive reporting and communication.
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensures that planning, budgeting and general administrative procedures are followed for timely achievement of project milestones;
- Ensures well managed collaboration and coordination with cooperating partners to guarantee smooth implementation of activities and achievement of results as specified in grant agreements;
- Ensures project activities are implemented in compliance with the policies and regulations of the donor organization and host government;
- Leads project team to donor organized annual learning event – ensuring well prepared presentations and other learning products;
- Conducts periodic activity monitoring visits to project sites and meets regularly with key host government institutions;
- Supervises the strategy for capacity building of Project staff to achieve project quality and to build sustainable national technical, administrative and management talent;
- Sets the tone, practices and insures respect of policies to maintain a positive, productive, and abuse and discrimination free workplace;
- Manages and leads staff, consultants, and contractors to ensure efficient and timely implementation of project;
- Represents the Project and Blumont in national and international fora, preparing and presenting project strategies and results;
- Ensures the timeliness, cost and quality of all activities performed under the project;
- Provides monthly issues (exceptions) report to donor fund manager and weekly project updates to Blumont International HQ Team;
- Prepares weekly and monthly reports to submit as needed and according to the contract requirements;
- Prepares annual work plan and budget that identify key objectives, responsible staff, deliverables and potential roadblocks; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Experience:
- A minimum relevant Bachelor’s degree and 5 years’ experience in the areas of Climate Change Adaptation, local governance, Disaster Risk Reduction, value chain and enterprise development, rural development and food security;
- Demonstrated ability to manage development projects involving close collaboration and accountability to host government and donor M&E/learning agendas;
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage staff, set example for ethical, equitable and equal treatment of staff and beneficiaries regardless of gender, race, religion, cultural and other differences;
- Excellent writing and communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; good team player; Public speaking skills a plus;
- French and English languages are required. Bambara is an additional advantage;
- Ability to work within a budget and maintain financial documentation;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and database management applications;
- Prior Chief of Party or project management experience.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Master’s degree in related field;
- Experience working with DFID or on DFID-funded projects is preferred; BRACED programme experience an additional plus.
- Ability to quickly master project and donor conceptual frameworks and in general intellectual flexibility;
- Must be innovative and resourceful in creating an awareness of new initiatives which respond to the needs and practices of project beneficiaries;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, take direction, assume leadership, and make rational decisions while working remotely from country leadership;
- Ability to train and facilitate dialogue among a diverse group of individuals with various skills sets and work styles;
- High motivation, initiative, and adaptability;
- An ability to work successfully in remote and challenging settings with limited resources.
- Up to 25%
- Based in Bamako, Mali.
Blumont is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics. Military veterans, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, Teach America and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.