Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Classification: Term position
Reports to: Asia Regional Director
Internews empowers people worldwide with the trustworthy, high-quality news and information they need to make informed decisions, participate in their communities, and hold power to account. Our vision is to unleash human potential everywhere by turning on the bright light of information.
For more than 35 years, in more than 100 countries, Internews has worked to build healthy media and information environments where they are most needed. We have proudly launched hundreds of sustainable organizations, bolstered the skills of thousands of media professionals, activists, and citizens, and helped our partners reach millions of people with quality, local information.
Internews is a non-profit organisation operating internationally, with administrative centres in California, Washington DC, London and Paris as well as regional hubs in Bangkok, Kiev and Nairobi. Formed in 1982, Internews currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
Internews seeks a Project Director for a media support project focused on enhancing CSOs’ contribution to governance and development processes. Specifically, the project will build the capacity of journalists to produce high-quality, investigative content and create feedback loops between citizens, journalists and local authorities that are crucial for government accountability and transparency. The local Project Director will play a critical role leading coordination amongst partners, directing timely and effective implementation and ensuring activities meet the project objectives. The PD will also work closely with subgrantees to collect the M&E data which will be updated, analyzed and validated according to the pre-established collection schedule for each indicator. S/he will monitor, review and ensure the quality of M&E data from partner activities to ensure they are meeting deliverables and analyzing the effectiveness of their activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, other duties may be assigned:
- Oversee the management and successful implementation of the project;
- Oversee sub-grants to partner organizations, including budgets, timeline and reporting, and to participate and assist in the completion of such task as requires;
- Ensure financial compliance oversight with Bangkok-based Finance Manager and timely spending of program budgets with the Business Manager and Finance Officer;
- Ensure top-level M&E and cutting-edge reporting are developed and maintained in coordination with regional and HQ M&E staff;
- Prepare proposals/reports/budgets (write, edit, proof, revise);
- Prepare correspondence and reports from local conferences and discussion panels;
- Write reports for primary donors;
- Implement activities related to communication with the public and news media on program activities and accomplishments, as well as public relations;
- Carry out research as assigned and in support of ongoing projects and new initiatives;
- Represent organization at various conferences and events;
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 5+ years programmatic experience or relevant advanced degree
- English and Bahasa Malay fluency required
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with media a plus
- Proficient in MS Office
- Experience managing databases
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple on-going assignments
- Relevant university degree required
PHYSICAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met or may be encountered by an employee performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision for use of computer terminal and reading printed and electronic materials. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, outdoor weather conditions, extreme cold and heat and regularly exposed to the risk of radiation from regular exposure to computer VDTs. Many cities where the duties of this job are performed have less than adequate heating and/or electric facilities, lack hot water, heat, and gas.
Work hours are moderately flexible, but generally Monday through Friday from 9 am to 6 pm.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, the multitude of tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the associate a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.