Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
This vacancy is a local staff position. It is open only to nationals and residents of Bangladesh.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in Bangladesh Resident Mission (BRM) within the South Asia Department (SARD). To assist in implementation of the loans and technical assistance (TA) projects and supports ADB HQ in processing new loans in Bangladesh. This position would support the Finance and Public Sector Management project of BRM in providing administrative and analytical support for project administration and processing.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
To assist the Bangladesh Resident Mission (BRM) in managing the performance of Bangladesh and BRM Finance and Public Sector Management portfolio financed by ADB, and in handling loan/grant/technical assistance (TA) processing and administration, by coordinating and consolidating project information to achieve specific project implementation functional results, and provide diversified analytical, statistical and administrative support to the function of Finance and Public Sector Management sector. The position will report to designated International Staff and senior National Staff.
- Maintain database for managing Bangladesh and BRM Finance and Public Sector Management portfolio.
- Compile statistical data on projects/TAs and process such data into meaningful reports for inclusion in the BRM’s Finance and Public Sector Management portfolio review papers including those for country project review meetings and other project review meetings.
- Monitor progress on contract awards and disbursements, alert Portfolio Administration Unit (PAU) Head on possible risks and suggest steps to be undertaken to improve progress.
- Coordinate meetings on Finance and Public Sector Management portfolio performance including preparing project performance reports, minutes of meetings, and following up with concerned parties on the implementation of the agreed measures.
- Actively contribute to the administration of some of the more complex delegated projects, including the review of bid documents and evaluations, preparation of project performance reports, and drafting of correspondence.
- Contributes to the preparation and updating of PAM by gathering and consolidating data in the appendices, and preparing draft on various sections, including Project description/scope, Project cost, Loan allocation, Procurement, Loan covenants, etc.
- Liaise with and support BRM Staff, HQ Staff, and government agencies, to facilitate administration and monitoring of ADB-financed loan and technical assistance projects; and ensure the implementation of the agreed plan for managing project administration.
- Monitors progress in terms of outputs and deliverables, following up submission of project reports, financial statements, etc., facilitating the inclusion of the requisite data and information; monitors physical progress in projects/TA implementation, for example, by following up on outstanding obligations of executing agencies (EAs) to expedite procurement/contract awards.
- Maintains related documents, records and files for delegated projects and computer-based information system for project administration matters.
- Develop familiarity with ADB procurement policy and systems, possibly obtaining PASS accreditation, and support the mission leaders to undertake procurement and consultant recruitment processing of the designated projects.
- Assist in the implementation of procurement plans, review procurement documents including draft technical designs and cost estimates.
- Prepares and updates individual Project Performance Reports for loans outlining all the required details for example, project description/scope, status of implementation, developments, major problems, actions taken/proposed, and participating in the tripartite portfolio review meetings when needed.
- Compiles data and statistics on contract awards and disbursements for the assigned projects for the generation of various reports required by the Department and Management.
- Capacity development supports for EAs on ADB guidelines and procedures and ensuring their compliance with project covenants and monitors and analyzes the actual awards and disbursements against targets to identify shortfalls and their underlying causes and follows up these matters with the EAs.
- Participates in various missions as required such as inception, review, mid-term mission and project completion report missions by providing independent support in collecting data on contract awards and disbursements, reconciliation of project accounts, compliance with loan covenants, familiarizing EAs with ADB’s loan procedures and Assisting them where necessary in the preparation of various reports and applications.
- Assist in monitoring estimated project and loan/TA closing dates and seek approvals for extension of loan/TA closing dates.
- Provide support in the preparation of Project Completion Reports and TA Completion Reports as needed. Maintains records needed to monitor compliance with project and technical assistance (TA) covenants, Follows up on outstanding obligations of executing agencies such as the submission of financial statements, monthly and/or quarterly progress reports and inputs data on the status of such compliance into the data base at BRM, in consultation with the National Officers.
- Assists in processing disbursements for delegated and non-delegated projects by following up with EAs on timely submission of withdrawal applications, Reviews withdrawal applications for compliance with project agreement and prepares/reviews data input for Procurement Contract Summary Sheet (PCSS) to update the Loan and grant Financial Information System (LFIS/GFIS).
- Act as the first line of information for BRM in handling requests from government agencies and others for data and status reports on ADB assisted projects.
- Perform any other duties as required and reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance/Commerce/engineering or equivalent.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in infrastructure sectors; experience in international agencies will be preferred
- Experience and knowledge of various stages of the project cycle.
- Proficiency in the use of technology packages (common word-processing, spreadsheets and graphics, PowerPoint and web-browsing and search engines. Proficient in spreadsheets and required information technologies.
- Proven ability to work independently on assigned transactions, areas of analysis and research, which have well-defined scope and steps
- Effective report-writing and communication skills in English and the national language (as required)
- Able to liaise and work effectively with government officials within own work location and with colleagues throughout ADB
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for Administrative Staff Levels
6 – 7
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.