With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Washington, DC, New York, Boston or Remote – US
The Program Coordinator is a key member of the Political Affairs team that can be based in our Washington, D.C. office or remote locations in Pennsylvania, Virginia, and other east coast locations will be considered. The position plays a critical supporting role in the development and execution of campaigns to advance priority goals of EDF’s strategies in Pennsylvania and Virginia, including to advance climate policy, clean energy, and equity. Independent judgement is important and required to plan, prioritize and organize workload within this busy program. Ideal candidates are driven self-starters with the ability to learn and implement workflow processes quickly and work well within a multi-disciplinary team. The Program Coordinator will report to the State Director for Pennsylvania and Virginia.
- Attend, participate, and represent EDF in meetings with policymakers, advocacy coalition partners, with responsibility for documenting, identifying and tracking key takeaways and next steps, including research needs.
- Support and assist with managing EDF’s Pennsylvania and Virginia partnerships with nonprofit, corporate, and other allies.
- Synthesize issue research and policy analysis and draft/edit documents and other materials to support EDF’s advocacy agenda, strategic communications efforts, internal and external reporting requirements, and other purposes.
- Create tracking databases, including for tracking legislative meetings, donor engagements, and program’s progress toward goals.
- Respond to requests for information and prepare correspondence as needed.
- Help to coordinate activities, events, and projects.
- Coordinate administrative processes for the Pennsylvania and Virginia programs, including expense reporting and invoice processing.
- Administer contracts for consultants, including assistance in writing/processing contracts and working with program staff/consultants to ensure the obligations of contracts are fulfilled and invoices are submitted and paid in a timely fashion.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF Values.
- Helps drive and implement progress on DEIJ and environmental justice in Virginia and Pennsylvania.
- A minimum 3 years of experience work in community organizing, environmental policy and/or advocacy campaigns.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree could substitute for up to 2 years of experience.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a variety of individuals and organizations, build effective coalitions, and work within diverse communities.
- Creativity, energy, and the ability to multi-task and get work done under pressure.
- Excellent organizational, planning, and administration skills and strong attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior skills in MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
- Presence, confidence and integrity.
- Ability and willingness to work as a strong team player, together with a demonstrated capacity to work independently and as a self-starter.
- Strong commitment to enhance the team’s and EDF’s DEIJ and environmental justice efforts, including experience working in diverse partnerships.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to travel regionally, on occasion.
- An understanding of and commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission of protecting the natural environment and limiting humankind’s impact on the planet.
PLEASE SUBMIT A COVER LETTER WITH YOUR APPLICATION.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.