With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 630 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and results are a way of life.
The Program Coordinator is a key member of the Political Affairs team based in the Raleigh, NC office, and plays a critical supporting role in the development and execution of campaigns to advance priority goals of EDF’s core program teams located in the Raleigh Office. Independent judgement is important and required to plan, prioritize and organize workload within this busy program. Ideal candidates are driven self-starters with the ability to learn and implement workflow processes quickly and work well within a team. The Program Coordinator will report to the Senior Manager for North Carolina Political Affairs.
This opportunity will be offered as a 24-month term position.
- Responsible for various administrative tasks including, preparing expense reimbursements, scheduling, travel planning, and other non-routine assignments as necessary to support effective policy advocacy.
- Assist with budget management for project work, develop work plans, help negotiate consulting agreements and scopes of work, and help identify and procure necessary resources.
- Coordinate with program financial analyst on administering contractual agreements, including working with program staff and consultants to ensure obligations of contracts are fulfilled and invoices are submitted in a timely fashion.
- Become sufficiently knowledgeable about the scope and breadth of the core program activities carried out by teams located in EDF’s Raleigh Office in order to support and participate effectively in cross-programmatic coordination, advocacy strategy discussions, and long-range planning.
- Attend, participate, and represent EDF in meetings with policymakers, advocacy coalition partners, and other various external stakeholders.
- Identify, track, and ensure accountability for action items and critical tasks identified in both internal team meetings and coordination sessions with advocacy partners and other stakeholders.
- Monitor and report on legislatives activities related to EDF”s legislative agenda and other priority policy issues.Support the Political Affairs program through research, coordination, strategic input, discrete project management and relationship development.
- Apply excellent organizational, communication, and planning skills by responding to requests for information, helping to coordinate activities and projects for the Political Affairs team, and preparing correspondence as needed.
- Synthesize issue research and policy analysis to draft and edit documents and other materials to support EDF’s advocacy agenda, strategic communications efforts, internal and external reporting requirements, and other purposes
At least three years of relevant work experience with bachelors or advanced degree with some related work experience.
Strong preference for previous advocacy and/or political campaign experience.
Detail oriented, organized, self-starter, able to adapt to frequent change and prioritize effectively under constant deadline pressure.
Creativity, energy, and the ability to multi-task and get work done under pressure.
Ability and willingness to work as a strong team player, while at the same time able to work independently.
Excellent organizational and administrative skills.
Strong written and oral communications skills.
Excellent strategic thinking skills and judgment.
Adaptable and flexible while working with a diverse team from varied backgrounds.
An understanding of and commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission of protecting the natural environment and limiting humankind’s impact on the planet.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.