The vacancy is for a local position with a local remuneration package. It is open only to nationals and residents of Uzbekistan.
Responsible for implementing and supporting procurement related initiatives and processes under the country portfolio operations in Uzbekistan, including providing operational support in procurement – related transactions, coordinating procurement matters with other offices, facilitating procurement capacity development activities.
Operational support in procurement-related transactions
- Reviews the procurement and consultant selection transactions and the contract documents under Uzbekistan Resident Mission (URM) – administered projects, including:
- Bidding documents, request for proposals, terms of references, invitation to bids etc.;
- Bid and proposal evaluation reports;
- Contract awards and negotiation documents; and
- Other procurement related documents, submissions, and reports.
- Assists URM staff in conducting project processing and review missions and preparation of mission Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), Aide Memoires, and Back-to-Office Reports (BTORs).
- Assists URM staff in discussions on procurement with Executing Agencies (EAs) and project consultants.
- Assesses procurement and contract awards and achievements in the quarterly progress reports.
- Prepares annual contract award projections and monitors the actual contract awards.
- Supports the project teams in procurement planning and implementation monitoring.
- Assists in assessing and analyzing the procurement risks and performances and writing the procurement-related parts of the country portfolio and project documents (portfolio briefing notes, project issue papers, procurement risk assessments, project processing documents, Project Completion Report etc.)
Coordinates procurement matters with other offices
- Coordinates with ADB Headquarters (HQ) divisions on procurement and consulting services matters.
- Assist the HQ project teams in project processing and review missions, as necessary.
- Assists in reviewing the procurement and consulting selection transactions and contract documents under the non-delegated projects (administered by HQ divisions), as necessary.
- Takes initiative to deal with procurement issues in proactive manner and assists ADB in conducting procurement related dialogue with the government counterpart agencies.
Facilitates procurement capacity development activities
- Tracks procurement related policies and updates by:
- Keeping updated on ADB’s policies, guidelines and procedures on procurement and use of consultants, disseminating this to URM staff, EAs and other agencies concerned, and responding to EAs inquiries on matters relating to procurement and use of consultants.
- Keeping track of the country’s policies, laws, rules and regulations on procurement; and liaising with the Government and agencies concerned and with other donor agencies on procurement policy and practices.
- Prepares and updates the annual procurement capacity development plans for EAs and other stakeholders in the country based on the needs (e.g., procurement risk assessment recommendations, requests from ADB and the government project teams etc.).
- Coordinates and monitors the implementation of the procurement capacity development plans.
- Conducts procurement practical training, clinics and seminars independently or in cooperation with the procurement specialist outposted in URM in a periodic manner.
- Facilitate internal procurement seminars, feedback sessions and discussions for URM staff on a regular basis.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Applies updated advancements in own knowledge area to relevant tasks
- Applies knowledge and practical skills to independently perform some complex tasks
- Conveys the need to use updated project approaches
- Delivers Divisional contributions across a variety of products and services to meet the needs of different clients
- Proposes options to clients that may better meet their needs than current approaches
- Defines and delivers to agreed standards with clients
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Conducts detailed research and analysis to determine appropriate methods for addressing the causes of issues
- Self-monitors achievement of results according to work plans
- Identifies different stakeholder needs and desired outcomes when planning for outcomes
- Independently solves problems and makes recommendations
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks with audience’s level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
- Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees preferably in law, business administration, engineering or related discipline; preferably with advanced training in public procurement.
- At least 8 years relevant experience in project preparation and administration with substantial experience in procurement and contract management.
- Familiarity with procurement policies, guidelines, and procedures, and anticorruption policies of a multilateral organization
- Sound knowledge of government administrative systems and procedures, particularly public procurement systems
- Sound knowledge of competitive bidding procedures and exposure to the domestic construction and consulting industries in developing member country (DMC)
- Strong conceptual skills and ability to identify issues and appropriate actions at the field office level
- Strong planning and organizing skills to handle many tasks with deadlines
- Able to liaise and work effectively with government officials within own work location
- Effective report-writing and communication skills in English.
People and supervisory skills
- Should have strong client focus and high level of commitment to results
- Communicates often with clients and seeks to understand and anticipate their needs
- Able to guide Administrative Staff (AS) to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review
- Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Supervisor: Designated International Staff and senior National Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive and respectful work environment. Women are especially encouraged to apply.