Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Transport Sector Group of the Sector Advisory Service Cluster within the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department. The Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department provides leadership, innovation, and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work. The Transport Sector Group supports sector operations in Operations Departments, including joining project teams, it undertakes quality control through the peer review process, prepares transport sector strategy documents and knowledge products, serves as the secretariat to the Sector Committee and the Sector Group and represents ADB at external events relating to the transport sector.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Principal Transport Specialist will ensure ADB continues to be a trusted partner in Technical Assistance and financial support in transport sector assistance to developing member countries (DMCs) and in non-sovereign operations. The position will require a detailed understanding of the emerging challenges facing transport in Asia and the Pacific and ensure ADB is positioned to meet the request for assistance that we receive from our clients. The incumbent will be expected to provide advice, expertise and support to Operations Departments to ensure compliance with policies and strategies, in particular assist in the development of transport sector assistance to align with clients emerging needs and corporate objectives as outlined in Strategy 2030 and its 7 Operational Priorities.
The incumbent will report to the Chief of the Transport Sector Group and will supervise national and administrative staff.
The Principal Transport Specialist is expected to undertake the following tasks:
a. Policies, Strategies and Frameworks
• Provide technical and policy advice to transport sector staff and clients from DMCs and non-sovereign clients to develop innovative policies and projects in the transport sector consistent with the strategic objectives of ADB and priorities of DMCs.
• Provide input and assistance in mainstreaming of Strategy 2030 across ADB Transport focus areas.
• Assist in preparing on sector related guidance and framework documents, annual sector group work plans, and monitor progress in implementing the annual Transport Sector Group work plans and general transport sector support provided by ADB.
• Develop linkages between transport initiatives and work in other sectors and thematic areas, including urban development and clean energy.
• Liaise with the transport community both within and outside ADB to enhance the quality of ADB transport sector assistance to DMCs and non-sovereign clients.
b. Operational Guidance and Support
• The position will assist in the identification and development of high-quality demonstration projects in core sustainable transport areas such as urban transport, railway transportation, use of information and communications technology such as intelligent transport system, road safety, and multimodal transport.
• Provide guidance and operational support to the transport sector operations of ADB including reviewing and commenting on relevant documents from operational departments and preparing technical and qualitative assessments for management on country strategies and programs, projects, loans, technical assistance, and other documents as necessary to maintain quality and consistency in the application of sector policies on ADB-wide basis.
• Prepare and manage regional technical assistance to advance ADB’s transport practice.
• Help catalyze high-quality demonstration projects in key sustainable transport areas in order to provide regional examples of innovative concepts. Most notably in areas of urban transport and railways sub-sector assistance.
• Develop mechanisms to create greater linkages between sustainable transport and urban development with ADB’s operations.
c. Promotion of Regional Cooperation
• Promote ADB’s role in regional economic cooperation through appropriate interventions in the transport sector.
d. Knowledge Generation and Sharing
• Develop knowledge products and capacity development programs for dissemination through internal and external networks.
• Support the Chief of the Transport Sector Group and Transport Sector Committee in managing the activities of the Transport Sector Group and its advisory teams.
• Assist in transport knowledge management including development of mechanisms for generating knowledge products and coordinating and liaising with external networks and development partners to disseminate knowledge.
• Undertake interregional studies and research to promote new technologies and policies and sector assessments.
• Represent ADB at transport-related events and international forums.
• Support the development and maintenance of transport website and intranet to promote and disseminate information on ADB activities in the transport sector to both external and internal clients.
• Participate in and contribute to relevant internal and external training and conferences and other activities for advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building.
e. Staff Supervision
• Take the role of team leader and supervise the work of team members.
• Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
• Ensure the ongoing learning and development of reporting staff.
f. Other Responsibilities
• Support Operations Departments of ADB in emerging areas of transport assistance, most notably in urban transport and rail sub-sector.
• Prepare knowledge products and capacity development programs in emerging areas of transport assistance, most notably in urban transport and rail sub-sector.
• Lead sub-sector advisory teams in urban transport and railway sub-sector.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master’s degree or equivalent in Transport Management, Transport Planning, Civil Engineering, Economics or related fields; or University degree in Transport Management, Transport Planning, Civil Engineering, Economics or related fields and at least 5 years work experience in MDBs or equivalent agencies.
• Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level.
• Minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience in transport sector
• Capacity to contribute substantially to the development of sector policy, processing and administering loans and technical assistance in the transport sector.
• Strong analytical and interpersonal skills with ability to deal effectively with all types of internal and external clients/stakeholders.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
• Internal experience working in development in several countries.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for IS6
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.