Accountabilities & Responsibilities
Structuring and Execution
- Origination and identification of lending opportunities, which are economically feasible and increase EBRD’s activity in transport sector, and review the associated implementation and operational risks – may include leading and/or supporting role.
- Screen and review projects being considered by the Bank for financing with a view to identifying at an early stage potential transition impact, compliance with Paris Alignment (PA) and related potential in such areas as green economy and climate change, road safety, social inclusion and gender. The specialist shall contribute to discussions with banking teams, incorporate those components into the project, mobilise required expertise, engage potential donor sources and ensure that bank funding can be used for sustainable development.
- Preparation of transport components of the project (with particular focus decarbonisation under PA goals, green economy, energy efficiency, road safety, digitisation and inclusive development), leading the technical response to all aspects of project structuring, execution and monitoring and managing relations with the clients with respect to these.
- Ensuring the technical response throughout the project lifecycle, including direct technical advice and support as appropriate, structuring and arranging of technical expertise including preparation of terms of reference for and oversight for pre- and post-signing technical cooperation (TC) assignments, review and technical contributions to related loan documents of the Bank and related policy work and guidance.
Implementation and reporting
- Take responsibility on issues related to implementation of signed projects with respect to sustainable transport components, including the implementation of post-signing technical cooperation assistance (TCs) in association with the Bank’s operation leader and/or portfolio manager, and the development of remedial actions in the project implementation.
- Develop the appropriate tools and indicators to assess and monitor the impacts of the Bank’s investments in the transport sector and the delivery of the Strategic Performance Indicators, notably Green Economy Transition (GET), Paris Alignment (PA), project monitoring indicators and sustainable development goal indicators (and as detailed in the Transport Strategy), taking steps to address and highlight any issues relating to their implementation.
Business Development and Policy Dialogue
- Undertake marketing and business development efforts in the relevant sector and countries to build reputable market contacts to develop a broad deal flow and cross selling, including preparation and contribution to industry workshops and platforms as relevant– may include lead and/or support roles
- Assist in broadening the scope of EBRD’s efforts in transport sector by identifying suitable technology solutions, guiding appropriate policy and approaches and developing new projects in areas such as green economy and energy efficiency, electrification of transport (EV fleets and charging infrastructure), smart technology and digitalisation, including automation, remote sensor methods and data capture (mobile phone, drones etc), road safety initiatives, road tolling and automation, green construction methods and logistics (national and city level).
- In cooperation with relevant units within the Bank, lead selected policy dialogue and capacity building activities with main stakeholders to improve the investment climate and strengthen the EBRD impact and visibility in the area of sustainable transport. These are expected to focus particularly on the strategic development goals of the Bank in green, digital and inclusive
- Collaborate in funding initiatives in the transport sector to support policy, knowledge sharing and development needs in transport sector, including identification of relevant funding instruments, coordination with other Bank units and provision of analysis and technical expertise for funding submission and follow-up. Where relevant, participate in implementation and monitoring activities.
- Articulate and represent EBRD’s activities and directions in events on sustainable transport, dynamically participate in networks and outreach activities, and interact effectively with management, staff, and counterparts in other institutions.
- Provide internal guidance and coaching to colleagues in respect to sustainable transport technologies and practices.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
Qualifications and skills
- Master’s degree preferred and/or equivalent experience in transport related areas of expertise (engineering, economics, management or equivalent)
- Computer literacy, in particular with understanding of modelling and use of Excel.
- Excellent written/oral communication skills in English and preferably in another language of the Bank (French, Russian or Arabic)
- Ability to operate consistently within business guidelines and ethics and work sensitively in multicultural environments, building effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
- Influencing, negotiation and relationship building skills
- Result-oriented, self-motivated, ability to work to and meet tight deadlines and to plan and organise work unsupervised in a logical and efficient manner.
Experience and knowledge
- Significant knowledge and experience in the Transport Sector including technologies, policies, sector reform and regulatory aspects, including within the context of sustainable transport, climate change, transport policy, EV, digitalisation, road safety and logistics.
- Strong experience in preparation of transport projects (pre-investment studies), including strategic, feasibility and due diligence studies, preferably including assignments for EBRD and/or other international financing institutions
- Familiarity with role and requirements of EBRD and/or other international financing institutions
- Project management skills. Proven track record as team manager for project preparation or implementation tasks, consulting and advisory and/or policy development.
- Sound understanding of business and finance principles.
- Good understanding of policy analysis and policy formulation in the areas of climate change, transport reform, accessibility, road safety and energy efficiency.
- Experience and familiarity in working within multicultural projects and teams
- Experience in emerging markets, notably SEMED, central and Eastern Europe and/or the CIS
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working.