Reporting to the Vice President, Strategic Initiatives and Development, the Coordinator will be responsible for supporting the Vice President’s efforts to cultivate, solicit, and steward a select portfolio of EDF’s trustees and principal donors. The Coordinator will be expected to employ the highest standards of a donor-centered approach to fundraising playing a key role in the solicitation and stewardship of EDF’s top donors.
The Coordinator will also support the Vice President’s work with program executives to enhance their donor-related activities, including organizing high-impact donor engagement opportunities and articulating compelling visions to inspire large investments in their work.
This position is a growth opportunity for someone interested in the Development profession and offers the opportunity to work with EDF’s senior fundraisers and program executives. The Principal Gifts Coordinator will be part of an aggressive and growing Development team. EDF is committed to the success and growth of fundraising and provides a stellar opportunity to learn the trade from top fundraisers.
- Work closely with VP, Strategic Initiatives and Development to engage top donors; develop deep familiarity with the portfolio and work plans
- Compose, edit, and proofread talking points for donor meetings, briefings, proposals, stewardship reports and other communications; coordinating with the Donor Communications team, ensuring that donor documents meet the highest standards of writing and that the content reflects EDF’s priorities.
- Assist in the timely and accurate preparation of donor and prospect visits.
- Produce individualized acknowledgements and other correspondence for donors, ensuring their accuracy and consistency with EDF’s style and messaging.
- Analyze and develop various fundraising reports tracking goals, giving and fundraising activities.
- Participate in donor strategy sessions.
- Respond to donor and staff inquires and other special projects, as assigned.
- Interface with program executives and teams to help develop and implement strategies for engaging donors in their work with the goal of inspiring new and increased gifts. Provide administrative support to VP including: drafting letters, emails, correspondence and other general information, and processing expenses and arranging travel.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience preferably in a fundraising, nonprofit or academic setting is preferred.
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity; the ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Comfortable working with minimal supervision with a remote supervisor.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to compose, edit, and expertly proofread correspondence and other documents.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills and the ability to convey complex ideas in writing, with a level of clarity and sophistication expected by our highly integral donors and prospects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality while representing the organization and interfacing with all levels of staff at the national and affiliate offices, as well as with volunteers, donors, and outside vendors.
- High ability to actively listen to colleagues, senior development management and donors to deftly navigate and manage relationships.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet research. Experience working with Salesforce, fundraising or relational databases strongly preferred.
- Desire to learn major gifts fundraising.
- Commitment to the mission of Environmental Defense Fund.
Interested applicants should submit their cover letter, resume and salary requirements. Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.