With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Principal Gifts Coordinator
The Principal Gifts Coordinator will be part of an aggressive and growing Development team. Reporting to the Senior Director of Major & Principal Gifts who is based remotely, the Coordinator will be responsible for supporting up to three major gifts officers’ efforts to cultivate, solicit, and steward portfolios of EDF’s leadership and principal donors. The Coordinator will be expected to employ the highest standards of a donor-centered approach to fundraising. This position is a growth opportunity for someone interested in the Development profession and offers the opportunity to work with EDF’s fundraisers. EDF is committed to the success and growth of fundraising and provides a stellar opportunity to learn the trade from top fundraisers.
- Work closely with the major gifts officers to engage top donors; develop deep familiarity with the portfolio and work plan to assist and learn from the gift officers.
- Draft, edit, and/or proofread talking points for donor meetings, proposals, stewardship reports and other communications.
- Oversee the proposal and report development process, ensuring teams stay on track and deadlines are met.
- Assist in the timely and accurate preparation of donor and prospect visits.
- Assist with tracking of donor relationships, workplans and projections.
- Produce individualized acknowledgements and other correspondence for donors, ensuring their accuracy and consistency with EDF’s style and messaging.
- Help develop fundraising reports to track goals, giving and fundraising activities. P
- Participate in donor strategy sessions.
- Other special projects, as assigned.
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience preferably in a fundraising, nonprofit or academic setting is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to compose, edit, and expertly proofread correspondence and other documents.
- Exceptional organizational, planning and administrative skills and ability to juggle multiple priorities.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills and the ability to convey complex ideas in writing, with a level of clarity and sophistication expected by our donors and prospects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality while representing the organization and interfacing with all levels of staff at the national and affiliate offices, as well as with volunteers, donors, and outside vendors.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Strong ability to actively listen and deftly navigate and manage relationships.
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity; the ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet research. Experience working with Salesforce, fundraising or relational databases strongly preferred.
- Desire to learn major gifts fundraising.
- Commitment to the mission of Environmental Defense Fund.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.