Reporting to the AVP, Principal and Major Gifts, the Coordinator will be responsible for supporting efforts to cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of EDF’s leadership and principal donors.
The Coordinator will be expected to employ the highest standards of a donor-centered approach to fundraising playing a key role in the solicitation and stewardship of EDF’s top donors. This position is a growth opportunity for someone interested in the Development profession and offers the opportunity to work with EDF’s senior fundraisers. The Principal Gifts Coordinator will be part of an aggressive and growing Development team.
EDF is committed to the success and growth of fundraising and provides a stellar opportunity to learn the trade from top fundraisers.
- Work closely with AVP to engage top donors; develop deep familiarity with the portfolio and work plans to assist and learn from the AVP.
- Compose, edit, and proofread talking points for donor meetings, briefings, proposals, stewardship reports and other communications; coordinating with the Donor Communications team, ensuring that donor documents meet the highest standards of writing and that the content reflects EDF’s priorities.
- Assist in the timely and accurate preparation of donor and prospect visits.
- Produce individualized acknowledgements and other correspondence for donors, ensuring their accuracy and consistency with EDF’s style and messaging.
- Analyze and develop various fundraising reports tracking goals, giving and fundraising activities.
- Conduct initial research on donors and prospects and create a portfolio of information for strategy and planning process.
- Participate in advancing EDF diversity, equity, and inclusion goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Participate in donor strategy sessions.
- Respond to donor and staff inquires and other special projects, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience preferably in a fundraising, nonprofit or academic setting; Bachelor’s may substitute for up to 2 years’ experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to compose, edit, and expertly proofread correspondence and other documents.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills and the ability to convey complex ideas in writing, with a level of clarity and sophistication expected by our highly integral donors and prospects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality while representing the organization and interfacing with all levels of staff at the national and affiliate offices, as well as with volunteers, donors, and outside vendors.
- High ability to actively listen to colleagues, senior development management and donors to deftly navigate and manage relationships.
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity; the ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet research. Experience working with Salesforce, fundraising or relational databases strongly preferred.
- Desire to learn major gifts fundraising.
- Commitment to the mission of Environmental Defense Fund.
Please submit a cover letter with your submission.