Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1 Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned to the Thailand Resident Mission (TRM) within the Southeast Asia Department (SERD). SERD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Southeast Asian region. TRM is responsible for country partnership strategy, policy dialogue and client relationship, business development, knowledge management, project quality assurance, sector analytic work, and loan and technical assistance processing and administration in Thailand.
The Principal Country Economist is expected to provide support to the Country Director, Thailand Resident Mission (TRM) in leading the planning and implementation of country operations with overall responsibility for country programming, economics, thematic and sector work and knowledge management, with a focus on proactive client engagement and partnerships. The position will lead the preparation of and support the implementation of the Country Partnership Strategy (CPS) and the Country Operations Business Plan (COBP) that aims to promote continuing strong development partnership between ADB and Thailand. The position will also lead business development and project identification, in close collaboration with the SERD Innovation Hub and other similar ADB initiatives. The incumbent will report to Country Director, TRM, and may supervise National and Administrative staff.
- Lead TRM’s program preparation, management and support functions.
- Oversee the formulation and implementation of CPS, and annual COBPs in close coordination with government clients, other development partners, private sector, civil society, and SERD and other Headquarters (HQ) Departments and Offices.
- Ensure that CPS and COBPs are prepared in line with the consultation process requirements of ADB.
- Serve as the focal point in Thailand for coordination and cooperation with development partners
- Serve as focal point in Thailand on ADB operational matters
- Support sector divisions and substantially contribute to the design, processing and administration of both delegated and non-delegated loan and technical assistance (TA) projects, ensuring that ADB’s strategic and cross-cutting concerns are appropriately addressed.
- Assist executing and government agencies in resolving project/program implementation problems in coordination with sector divisions.
- Oversee external relations activities in TRM.
- When assigned, represent ADB in conferences, seminars and media interviews; carries out outreach to stakeholders in disseminating ADB’s views and advocacy.
- Establish and maintain effective relations with senior government officials and serve as the communication link between the Government of Thailand and ADB.
- Undertake coordination activities with development partners and other stakeholders on economic and development issues
- Oversee activities covering private sector operations and development, governance, trade, investment, and finance.
- Assist Country Director, TRM in staffing and office administration matters.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in Economics and/or other areas such as Development. Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional relevant professional experience can be considered
- At least 12 years of relevant professional experience in economics and/or development planning and policy formulation, implementation and coordination.
- Familiarity with ADB’s policies and procedures.
- Proven leadership capabilities
- Able to mentor team members, providing guidance and advice on project or technical-related matters
- Able to coach team members to develop their capabilities/potential.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- International experience working in development in several countries.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.