This role could be offered at Principal Banker or Associate Banker level depending on the candidate’s experience and skills. The Energy Europe team delivers the Bank’s mandate in the electricity and midstream/downstream gas sectors in Central, Eastern, South Eastern Europe, and the Western Balkans. It makes debt, and selected equity, investments predominantly in renewable power generation projects as well as gas and electricity storage, transmission and distribution projects, with selected engagement in gas-fired generation. Its activities are subject to the applicable Energy Sector Strategy and the Green Economy Transition Approach. It also plays a key role in advancing policy dialogue to promote green, competitive and liberalised energy markets, with a particular focus on the development of regulatory frameworks to support increased penetration of renewable energy.
The Principal Banker/Associate Banker is competent in undertaking all tasks related to, and understands all aspects of, project development and implementation, including project origination, structuring, execution, implementation and monitoring, for all types of investment instruments offered by the Bank.
The successful candidate will act both as a senior member of a project team or as an operation leader (typically on less complex transactions than an Associate Director, Senior Banker).
In their role as an operation leader, they will be expected to take responsibility for effective leadership of their project team/s, supervision of junior banking staff, while contributing to their coaching and providing mentoring assistance, as required.
They will contribute to all phases of the project cycle, taking responsibility for those tasks assigned by the operation leader, which may include undertaking comprehensive due diligence, including financial, market, integrity and EBRD policy compliance, as well as effective post-signing implementation and monitoring. These tasks will be carried out as part of a project team under the guidance of an operation leader or under the supervision/guidance of more senior bankers or the team Director.
The role also includes elements of business/pipeline development, client management and policy dialogue.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
Structuring and Execution
Under the guidance of the operation leader or a more senior banker, work as a senior project team member on transactions,
- Contributing to all aspects of project structuring and execution, including supporting the operation leader with the management of the project team;
- Be the primary driver of the scope and quality of project due diligence, including financial, market, integrity and EBRD policy compliance;
- Prepare internal project documentation, including approval project memoranda, financial models, draft term sheets, presentations, etc. as and when required;
- Take responsibility, as TC operation leader, to design and process technical co-operation assistance, ensuring that TC processing and approval fits with the approval schedule of any related investment project or the related policy dialogue initiative;
- Ensure that all tasks within their responsibility are completed within the specified time frames to a high standard and in line with the policies, procedures and objectives of the Bank
- As an operation leader, under the supervision of a more senior banker :
- Lead structuring, negotiation (including review of legal documentation) and the execution of transactions, working with clients, authorities, consultants and internal units;
- Manage the resources and the work load of the project teams under their supervision;
- Oversee the project due diligence process ensuring it meets the Bank’s standards;
- Ensure quality and appropriateness of TC assistance components which support the investments or contribute to policy dialogue initiatives;
- Ensure that all transactions within their responsibility are completed within the specified time frames to a high standard (including all internal memoranda and Board reports) and in line with the policies, procedures and objectives of the Bank.
Portfolio Monitoring, Value Creation and Reporting
- As a senior project team member perform all such tasks as may be assigned by the operation leader and provide constructive portfolio monitoring advice, guidance and supervision to more junior members of the project team.
- Monitoring compliance with project agreements and Bank procedures related to disbursement; monitoring of progress of the project implementation and financial performance of the client; assessing evolving risk factors and monitoring and assessing covenant compliance;
- Prepare timely and comprehensive monitoring reports and include recommendations for corrective actions where required
As operation leader:
- Take overall responsibility for the effective monitoring of all projects within their responsibility, including verifying the quality of regular monitoring reports; taking the lead in maintaining or supervising the management of client relationships; actively managing the resolution of any implementation/monitoring issues in cooperation with relevant Portfolio Managers; managing and supervising more junior bankers who assist in portfolio monitoring;
- Supervise implementation and monitoring of, and reporting on, relevant TC assignments to ensure their compliance with donor reporting requirements, operational objectives and that all reports are of a high quality;
- Take responsibility for ensuring timely notification of any critical portfolio issues to the relevant Portfolio Manager and/or Management, ensuring availability of adequate data and information for the Portfolio Manager and/or Management to be able to take timely decisions.
- In cooperation with relevant units within the Bank (e.g., Policy VP, OCE) and Banking country teams (if applicable), contribute to policy dialogue, in a leading role (project level initiatives) or supporting function (national level initiatives);
- Assist in providing necessary support, in the form of relevant information or documentation or meeting participation, towards efforts to procure grants and technical cooperation funds to complement investment projects or required as part of policy dialogue efforts.
- Assist with marketing and business development efforts in the relevant sector and countries to build reputable market contacts in order to develop a broad deal flow and cross selling of the Bank’s competencies;
- Assist with the critical screening of project proposal flow that is generated through business development efforts, liaising with other colleagues and teams within the Bank to identify sound and executable investments that meet the mandate of the Bank.
A Principal Banker will:
- Assist in recruiting, training, coaching and mentoring junior bankers, in coordination with the team’s Director and Associate Directors, Senior Bankers, involving them in all aspects of the project cycle (appraisal, execution, implementation, monitoring and business development), ensuring adequate
Skills, Experience & Knowledge:
- Significant relevant financial industry experience from an investment or commercial bank, private equity firm, asset management firm, or auditing/financial consulting firm operating to international standards.
- Practical experience of participating in and leading complex transactions through the full project life cycle.
- Relevant energy sector experience.
- Understanding of energy markets dynamics and new technological trends (e.g. digitalisation, energy storage, hydrogen).
- Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree preferred or equivalent experience in the areas of expertise.
- Professional qualification such as ACA, CFA, ACCA, or CIMA desirable.
- Strong quantitative/numerical skills are critical with the ability to interpret financial information and to design and use financial models.
- Credit analysis skills, with the ability to interpret accounts, understanding local and international accounting principles and practice of credit analysis.
- Computer literacy, conversant with Microsoft Office and spreadsheet packages including financial analysis and modelling modules.
- Excellent understanding of relevant systems and processes.
- Stakeholder management skills.
- Coaching, mentoring & leadership skills.
- Relationship management and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work to deadlines and under time pressure.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working.