The recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to local recruitment regulations and Article 4.3 of the ILO Staff Regulations. The ILO may only offer a contract to persons who have a valid residency status and work permit in the United States of America.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade. The entry level salary for this position is USD 46,191 yearly.
The position is located in the ILO Office in New York. The Office has the function to interact with the UN Secretariat, UN entities, bodies, member States and partners based in New York. It organizes high-level events, coordinates the timely submission of technical input to UN reports and initiatives and promotes the ILO’s decent work agenda.
As a team member, the incumbent provides a range of operational and administrative support services in an efficient, effective and client-oriented manner. These relate to the support to the Director of the Office, and the delivery of administrative and office support, HR, finance and travel and logistics, and require the use of the enterprise resource planning (ERP) system. The incumbent performs at a fully operational level, requiring correct application of established rules, regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines to recommend an appropriate course of action in the assigned area(s).
The position works under the supervision of the Office Director. Supervision received is focused on the timeliness of process execution and the quality of outputs. The incumbent works with a moderate degree of independence. Work is reviewed for correctness in the application of applicable standards.
Internal contacts are with staff and managers in field offices, project locations and headquarters to provide operational and administrative support and to exchange information on specialized processes and procedures for the delivery of services. The incumbent liaises with diverse organizational units to initiate requests, obtain clearances, process and follow up on administrative actions.
External contacts are primarily with counterparts in UN agencies and other international organizations, embassies, permanent missions and concerned authorities to seek or provide information for the completion of pending issues. The incumbent also liaises with service providers to follow up on pending issues.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
In accordance with the needs and priorities of the office where the position is located, the incumbent will provide services from among the following duties:
- Provide a range of administrative and/or operational support services. Contribute to the smooth and efficient functioning of the work unit by evaluating requirements, organizing and carrying out work assignments accordingly and proposing improvements to work processes.
- Provide support for the development and dissemination of communication and information products and services ensuring compliance with applicable standards. Assist senior management with the internal communications in the Office.
- Prepare and review communication and information products for layout and design in compliance with applicable standards.
- Prepare, draft and finalize general and administrative correspondence and undertake quality control of outgoing documents for accuracy of information, grammar, style and compliance with applicable standards. Provide informal translations.
- Maintain the official travel plan of the work unit. Make travel and accommodation arrangements, coordinate visa and security requirements, and process administrative transactions.
- Initiate, process and follow up on HR and finance administrative actions, verifying that information is in compliance with applicable standards. Input complete data in the enterprise resource planning (ERP) system. Perform other HR and finance support functions as required. Process arrangements for the arrival and/or departure of staff, including travel, security clearances, visas, transportation of personal affects and other benefits and entitlements and follow up with concerned authorities as appropriate.
- Perform operations for authorizing and effectuating expenditures. Prepare inputs, run reports and extract and compile data to support optimal budget utilization and preparation of programme and budget and workplan documentation.
- Coordinate and provide a range of administrative and financial support for meetings, workshops and other events. Ensure the timely preparation, translation, publication and dissemination of documents; presentations, briefing files and related materials. Take minutes and follow up on implementation of decisions.
- Ensure the work unit’s filing systems are maintained, accessible and efficient. Update websites and databases. Gather, consolidate and present information/data on specific topics.
- Keep abreast of changes to administrative rules, regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines and share information with staff, providing further clarification as required. Provide guidance to more junior staff, as required on applicable standards and work procedures.
- Perform and/or coordinate other general administrative duties such as those related to attendance and leave recording, office space, registry, inventory and procurement matters.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Where the position is the Assistant to the Director, along with performing a range of the above duties, the position will:
- Provide and/or coordinate a variety of office and administrative support services to assist the Director with the smooth running of the Office. Keep informed of important events and activities of the Office and inform concerned staff.
- Update and maintain the Director’s agenda. Screen and schedule appointments according to urgency and priority. Coordinate requests from high-level visitors and establish briefing programmes. Receive visitors and respond to in-person, telephone and email inquiries in a timely manner.
- Review incoming correspondence and requests including of a confidential and sensitive nature and provide background information in anticipation of Director’s needs, ensuring important issues are brought to the Director’s immediate attention. Prepare and/or review correspondence for the Director’s signature, ensuring compliance with applicable standards.
- Ensure effective and timely follow up on requests for information, briefings and other actions, emanating from the office of the Director, liaising with concerned staff as appropriate.
- Maintain contact with and contact lists of ministers, government officials, employers’ and workers’ organizations, national and/or sub-regional and regional institutions, UN agencies and other international organizations and members of the diplomatic corps.
- As Office focal point for the Talent Management System, support the Director with measures to increase compliance with the different Talent Management System modules, tracking status of compliance of staff in the office and following up with managers and staff as required. Provide guidance and first-level support, escalating more complex issues to the next level, and run reports and follow up as required.
Completion of secondary school education.
Minimum of five years of general administration and office support work experience. Experience of working with an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system.
Excellent command of English, and working knowledge of another official language (French or Spanish) of the Organization.
Knowledge and Competencies (technical/behavioural)
- Knowledge of general office support and operational areas.
- Awareness of the nature of ILO programme and activities.
- Good knowledge of PC software (including word processor, spreadsheet and presentation software) such as Microsoft Office and software used for communication purposes.
In addition to the ILO core competencies [Integrity and transparency, Sensitivity to diversity, Orientation to learning and knowledge sharing, Client orientation, Communication, Orientation to change, Takes responsibility for performance, Quality orientation, Collaboration], this position requires:
- Efficiency in providing administrative support for the organization of meetings and other events.
- Ability to search, retrieve and compile information from various sources.
- Ability to adapt quickly to new software and systems.
- Drafting skills.
- Analytical skills and attention to detail.
- A high degree of discretion with sense of responsibility in dealing with confidential matters.
- Interpersonal skills, tact and diplomacy when dealing with others.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account – @ilo.org – should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.