BASIC PURPOSE: Global Ministries, which is the mission and development agency of The United Methodist Church, seeks a major gifts development professional to join the agency at a time of dynamic growth, in conjunction with Global Ministries’ recent move to Atlanta, Georgia.
The Major Gifts Officer will report to the Executive Director of Communications and Development. The Major Gifts Officer will play a central role in guiding and directly facilitating the growth of Global Ministries’ donor base, with emphasis on strengthening and increasing the number of individual donors, as well as institutional donors including foundations. The ideal candidate will have experience managing her/his own portfolio of prospective donors, while also providing support to others, especially leadership, in the management of their portfolios.
The Major Gifts Officer will serve as a key top member of a growing and energetic Development team, which values collaboration and creativity. This is a new position, reflecting Global Ministries’ commitment to expanding its major gift fund raising and growing the base of support for the agency’s work.
Headquartered in New York City for almost 200 years, Global Ministries relocated to Atlanta in 2016, in response to partnership and other opportunities identified in the Atlanta area. Alongside its newly opened headquarters in Midtown Atlanta, Global Ministries oversees regional offices in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Altogether, these offices administer programs in 136 countries.
Among its key programs, Global Ministries’ humanitarian relief and development agency, UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief), provides disaster relief and development in the Unites States and abroad. Founded in 1940, UMCOR is one of the world’s most widely recognized humanitarian assistance organizations. Global Ministries’ Global Health unit, reflecting Methodism’s longstanding commitment to well-being and physical health, works with hospitals and community health clinics worldwide. Global Ministries’ 350+ missionaries worldwide focus on alleviating human suffering; strengthening, developing, and renewing congregations and communities; seeking justice, freedom, and peace; and encouraging those who seek a life in Christian mission for positive transformation of the world.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Manage and build a portfolio of major gift donors, with emphasis on individuals.
· Solicit and close new gifts by developing strategic funding requests to support Global Ministries’ short, intermediate, and long-term funding goals.
· Help strengthen Global Ministries’ pipeline of donors by internally working closely with Global Ministries’ team on prospect research.
· Related to the process of cultivating and soliciting individual donors and prospects, cultivate key church constituents, including but not limited to United Methodist conferences and local churches.
· Set and meet goals and metrics for personal visits and giving outcomes.
· Support cultivation events and work with the events team to help execute.
· Assess and expand the major gift prospect pool by building relationships, identifying new potential candidates, and acting on data and prospect research.
· Plan and execute cultivation and solicitation trips. Ensure comprehensive follow-up.
· Conceive and execute a dynamic calendar of cultivation and stewardship events, which may include national and international travel and outreach.
· Write and track proposals and reports for significant individual solicitations.
· Maintain a thorough working knowledge of Global Ministries’ programs, and develop and implement strategies for marketing new and existing programs. May manage fund-raising initiatives for specific programs.
· Bachelor’s degree at minimum, Masters preferred.
· Three to five years of experience and demonstrated success cultivating and soliciting major gifts, especially among individuals.
· The ability to execute as well as manage, and to work independently.
· Exceptional oral and written communication skills with demonstrated experience developing successful fundraising campaigns and related messaging.
· Belief in Global Ministries’ mission.
· A strong, proven record of closing gifts, ideally six-figure gifts or higher.
· Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships and motivate people to make gifts in support of a specific priority; able to develop high-quality relationships with a variety of constituencies.
· Experience with Development information systems and databases.
· Strong sense of responsibility for achieving personal fund-raising goals while working as a member of a team.
· Capacity to manage and organize confidential information, and to exercise discretion and sound judgment.
· Ability to think strategically and creatively.
ââ · Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and work as a self-starter.
· Ability to work as part of a team.
· Polish and professionalism to interact with donors, trustees, senior management, and other external contacts on the phone and in person, and in various forms of correspondence.
· Excellent attention to detail.
· Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
· Confidentiality and discretion.
· Successful experience in making cold calls, when necessary, as well as developing cultivation and solicitation strategies.