Position: Logistics Specialist (Short term assignment)
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Duration: One Month
Reports to: Lebanon Country Director – Dotted line management with Middle East Regional Operations Manager
About Relief International.
Relief International (RI) is a leading nonprofit organization working in 16 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International includes the four members of the RI Alliance in the USA, UK, France, and Belgium. Under our alliance agreement, we operate under a single, shared management structure with one CEO and one Board of Directors.
About our Programs.
RI is active in 16 countries around the world, including some of the most fragile: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Myanmar, Pakistan, Philippines, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen. Often, RI is the only organization providing assistance to highly vulnerable communities.
RI employs 7,000+ staff and auxiliary workers
97% of staff are in-country nationals
We only have some 90 ex-pat staff out of 7,000+
RI spent $125 million in 2019 on our programs.
RI invests in four broad program sectors: Economic Opportunity, Education, Health, and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH). We design our programs to incorporate The RI Way: local participation, integrated programming, the development of civic skills, and partnerships including with local NGOs, governments, and the private sector.
RI supports solutions that reinforce and improve upon existing in-country systems. Where such systems do not exist or are chronically underperforming, RI’s crisis response lays the foundation for long-term, sustainable change.
The Logistics Specialist is responsible for training, coaching and supporting the Lebanon Operations Coordinator as per individual training plan (ITP) and related objectives developed in full coordination with Regional Logistics Manager (RLM) and Country Director.
S/he will ensure the efficient implementation of the ITP and RI and donors ‘Operations policies and procedures.Based on the ITP and specific objectives set, the Operations Specialist will support the Country Operations Coordinator in the following main duties and responsibilities:
Scope of Work:
- Review all grants Procurement Plan in place and support Operations department on their revision, development, follow up and implementation.
- Develop Master Procurement Plan and supply chain strategy document (including sourcing options identification) on main complex and technical procurement. Ensure that all technical resources are actively participating and supporting such procurement type and volume.
- Ensure Medical stock and warehousing management is implemented according to RI and donors policies and procedures and Operations teams is trained and autonomous on Warehouse management and reporting.
- Meetings with each grant lead to review and update Procurement Plan
- Master Procurement Plan
- Strategy for Supply Chain document
- Warehouse management training and RI warehousing tools full implementation
Coordination and Strategic Engagement:
- Ensure Operations is actively coordinating within Logistics Sector-related working groups, including for LCRP, LEA and EOC emergencies and LHIF coordination in Lebanon and is leading efficiently BHA/OFDA consortium logistics group.
- Identify, develop and organize logistics training to key staff identified and partners: supply chain workshop, Operations staff required on stock management.
- S/he will shadow and mentor the Ops Coordinator on all internal and external coordination meeting at country level (CO coordination, grants review, compliance, Operations department meetings) and provide inputs related on proposals, budgets, donors reporting when applicable
- Support Operations Coordinator with inputting on strategic planning related to Operations department for Country Strategy and Contingency Plans.
- BHA/OFDA Consortium Logistics Group TOR
- Lebanon Logistics coordination mapping
- Review and guidance related to grant management meeting (mobilization, BVA, closing, etc.)
- Review and ensure Country Operations department set up is adapted to country program activities type, volume and set up. Provide recommendations accordingly.
- Support Operations Coordinator with approaches for enhanced team management to build team spirit, motivation, cohesion, etc.
- Ensure internal communication and coordination are efficient and adapted to Country Program set up
- Recommended organization structure reviewed and agreed with SMT
- Depending on funding, finalize job descriptions for positions and support recruitment. Ensure all staff have up-to-date and accurate TORs, to be revised in coordination with HR department.
- Create communication and reporting norms for Operations department with office staff and management (procurement tracker, warehouse, action plans, etc…)
Certain terms, conditions and requirements :
- Extensive supply chain/logistics and operations management experience in international development and humanitarian programs, experience in the Middle East essential (experience in Lebanon ideal).
- Training, capacity building and short terms support assignment experience
- Previous experience of managing operations/support teams in large-scale first phase emergency response is essential.
- Knowledge of international humanitarian and development systems, institutions and donors programs (including UN agencies, ECHO, DFID and OFDA), and of procedures, accountability frameworks and best practices.
- In depth knowledge and experience of logistics systems and requirements in a multi field office, multi program setting.
- Direct experience of delivery of humanitarian programs, in a technical or operational role, in at least 3 different contexts.
- Senior management role within a complex country program and/or in a large scale emergency response.
- Cultural sensitive, with highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Experience of supporting and developing programmatic staff with different backgrounds and expertise.
- Fluent in English and Arabic (optional).
Relief International’s Values:
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation