About the role: This is 12 month, new role with unaccompanied terms based in Grimari (CAR) with a salary of Band 3 €36,527 – €40,586.
You will report to the Base Manager (BM) with Technical reports to the Logistics Coordinator (Log Co) and work closely with the Area Coordinator (AC), Programme Director (PD), Country Financial Manager (CFM), and System Director (SD).
We would like you to start in October 2019.
Your purpose: The Logistics Manager (LM) will be responsible for managing and coordinating the logistics activities regarding the Food for Peace (FFP) project in 2 sub-prefectures of the Ouaka Region(CAR), under the supervision of the Base Manager. The position holder will also lead the continuous improvement of the logistics systems that are in place regarding the FFP programme and amending as necessary. He/she will provide effective and timely logistics support to the programme in relation to procurement, transportation, delivery and distribution of FFP items at field level, for FFP voucher fairs, and for FFP stock management, assets, premises, fleet management and communications.
You will be responsible for the following in Kouango :
- Organize tenders for fairs and maintain transparency and quality standard through logistics processes
- Identify suitable suppliers to supply food items in the fairs in the project areas as per Concern Procurement Policies– (approx. 8 fairs per month)
- Establish framework agreements with these suppliers to supply these items at each of the fairs each month.
- Ensure that the SOPs for fairs are updated with the Programme Accountant and are compliant to the donor rules. Ensure they are adhered to at all times including voucher distribution, cash distribution etc. including payments
- Participate in market assessments (prices and new suppliers for all types of procurement) in all programme areas so that effects of the cash and voucher programme can be monitored on the local market as well as ensuring equal access to all to the programme.
- Support the management and tracking of project orders in the Supply Request (SR) tracking sheet.
- Assist in developing an efficient and effective supply chain strategy to enable smooth implementation of FFP programme
- Carry out extensive supplier and market reviews and maintain a pre-qualified supplier list.
- Support programme teams in the development of procurement plans.
- Organize, plan and prioritise project supply needs.
- Analyse all logistics aspects to determine the most cost effective or efficient means of transporting FFP items
- Hire daily workers where necessary, and provide training and capacity building as required across logistics department
- Provide advice and support to senior management on logistics issues and collaborate with Programme staff on budgets.
- Routinely inspect FFP stock in warehouses
- Submit timely and accurate FFP stock reports.
- Investigate all stock discrepancies and provide a report of the procedure and findings.
- Ensure an update stock and asset list at the end of project and recommendation for disposal
- Support SD and BM in organizing inactive stocks and assets disposal.
Asset management, IT and Communications
- Support regular maintenance of communication equipment in liaison with the Base Manager and the Systems Director.
- Train FFP and other staff on use of communication equipment and communication protocols.
- Support the IT officer in designing a procurement plan of ICT equipment for FFP and other Kouango programmes and contribute to donor budgeting.
- Ensure all required and available communication equipment are installed and working: HF, VHF, Satellite, mobile network, etc. and functioning properly.
- Explore the possibility of having digital systems, notably for logbooks and the fixed asset register.
- Ensure that the CAR Fixed Asset Register (FAR) is verified monthly through spot checks to track assets movements across FFP programme areas.
- Ensure that all procedures and documents pertaining to Asset Management as per the Concern Logistics Manual are in place and being followed.
- Conduct analysis and spot checks to control Thuraya’s assigned to FFP Program staff high usage a per concern Policies and procedures and report any abuses to the management
- Ensure donation certificates with recipient’s signature are obtained and filed for all assets and equipment donated to beneficiaries/partner groups or received from Donors.
- Assist the BM in reviewing monthly logistics reports in Kouango and share with the Logistics Coordinator (Log Co)
- Ensure a robust vehicle maintenance system is in place and that maintenance works are properly documented.
- Ensure well-maintained and functional transport fleet for staff and material needs, including vehicle allocation in Kouango.
- Ensure there are robust fuel management systems in place from receiving, distribution and reporting.
- Weekly stock checks should be carried out on a weekly basis and a signed report submitted to the Base Manager with a copy emailed to the Log Co and the SD
Sub Base Management
- Identify a sub base (submit a property evaluation report) in the programme area and establish a sub-base to support the team working in this project area.
- In coordination with the PM, develop payment plan for fairs suppliers and share it with the BM copying in the PD, CFM and plan for field visits to supervise large payments
- Manage the sub base and all the operations occurring in the sub base
- Create an operation’s manual for any support activities occurring in Kouango so that it still adheres to Concern Policies and Procedures. Ensure Programme Accountant also includes finance management into this operations manual for the sub base.
- Represent Concern in logistics coordination meeting when necessary and in agreement with the line manager
- Carry out security assessments as and when required
- Review security protocols and suggest possible adjustments/improvements in liaison with Area Coordinator copying the Systems Director and Country Director
- Ensure proper application of SOPs in different locations.
- Train Security Focal Groups.
- Work closely with the Security Focal point by sharing flows of security information; analyze the trends in areas of FFP program activities.
- While in Kouango or Grimari participate in SFG meeting and share security information from FFP programme area
- Travel to field locations to conduct Logistics trainings e.g. on logistics, procurement, transport etc.
- With the assistance of the Systems Director, develop and roll out reporting tools and templates.
- Identify training opportunities for the logistics staff.
- Design a logistics induction for new comers and conduct it whenever required.
Your skills and experience will include:
- At least 2 year experience working overseas with an international NGO, preferably in an insecure environment.
- Experience with providing logistics support to humanitarian or development programming in the field.
- Fluent written and spoken French; working knowledge of English.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong planning, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Proven capacity-building ability, including training, coaching and mentoring staff.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload, to cope with stress and to work under pressure.
- Willing to live in basic living conditions and work in remote field bases with limited infrastructure.
- Experience working on online systems.