CIF’s Trust Fund Committee members have invited the CIF to increasingly fulfill its mandate as a learning laboratory for scaled-up climate finance. It recently approved an Evaluation and Learning Initiative to better capture evidence and lessons learned to inform CIF investments and those of other climate finance funds and practitioners. Going forward, CIF’s Knowledge Management work program will increasingly support and collaborate closely with the Evaluation and Learning Initiative and the Monitoring and Reporting team to create an integrated Knowledge and Learning approach. Working together with Communications, Programs and thematic specialists within the CIF Administrative Unit (CIF AU), the Knowledge and Learning cluster will lead a more holistic and strategic approach to learning, with a view to making the CIF even more effective as a both a mechanism and a learning laboratory for deploying public finance to accelerate the flow of capital into climate-related activities.
The CIF’s success is premised on a solid partnership with national governments, citizen groups and communities, private sector sponsors, the CIF governing bodies, and the five multinational development banks that serve as co-financiers and implementing agencies of the CIF. The CIF Evaluation and Learning Initiative and the wider CIF Knowledge and Learning Strategy have a strong commitment to demand-driven and user-centric learning that is relevant, participatory, and applied to decisions and strategies. Close collaboration with CIF AU Program teams and MDB and recipient country focal point teams will be essential in this regard.
The Knowledge Management Officer supports the CIF Evaluation and Learning Initiative and wider CIF Knowledge and Learning Strategy in efforts to capture and disseminate lessons generated from the CIF’s experience in delivering scaled up climate finance, working collaboratively with colleagues from within the Administrative Unit, as well as with MDBs, recipient country focal points, and other stakeholders.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment.
• Work closely with the Sr. Evaluation and Learning Specialist and colleagues in the CIF AU in developing and carrying out knowledge and learning activities related to the CIF Evaluation and Learning Initiative, including approach papers, terms of reference, procedural guidance documents, evaluation scoping, design and management, coordinating and managing external consultants, advising on deliverables, and other related work.
• Lead the implementation of select evaluation and learning activities related to the priority themes in the Evaluation and Learning Business Plan, including short-term, discrete evaluation studies or events as well as the longer-term learning partnerships.
• Provide coordination as well as technical guidance on activities undertaken in the initiative, including on methodologies and approaches as well as project management and supervision for quality assurance, working with internal colleagues and stakeholders as well as third parties.
• Work closely with the Sr. Knowledge Management Specialist, Sr. M&E Specialist, Sr. Evaluation and Learning Specialist, as well as Program teams and other CIF AU colleagues, to support a joint work program building synergies across knowledge activities in service of an integrated CIF knowledge and learning strategy.
• Support knowledge, learning and dissemination activities related to the CIF 10 year anniversary in 2018, leveraging opportunities to showcase CIF results and learning through a variety of formats.
• Lead or support CIF activities related to South-South learning and knowledge exchange, including facilitating or enhancing the development of dynamic learning networks and products within the CIF community and externally, through in-person events, virtual communities, demand-driven knowledge products and other activities, and engaging or partnering with leading global knowledge networks.
• Develop and maintain systematic reporting, communication and engagement mechanisms related to the Evaluation and Learning Initiative and other CIF knowledge and learning activities.
• Support the work of the CIF Evaluation and Learning Advisory Group, including the organization of virtual and in-person meetings, communication mechanisms, tracking results of meetings, undertaking follow-up work as needed, and other logistics.
• Assist in organizing consultations with MDBs, CIF AU, Recipient Countries, TFC members, and other key stakeholders to gather additional input on CIF knowledge and learning deliverables.
• Assist or lead in organizing CIF learning events and sessions, in collaboration with stakeholders.
• Assist in developing and maintaining collaborations with relevant knowledge networks and communities of practice as well as other climate funds, particularly the Green Climate Fund (GCF) and the Global Environment Facility (GEF).
• Build and maintain relationships with other units within the World Bank, other MDBs and external partners to ensure that CIF lessons are reflected in other internal and external knowledge groups’ work. Represent the CIF at external events to share lessons emerging from CIF-funded activities.
• Thorough knowledge of and practical experience in the design and implementation of various knowledge management, evaluation and learning approaches, tools and methodologies in the context of climate change and development. Ability to lead evaluations and support a dynamic and comprehensive knowledge, evaluation and learning program in support of defined objectives.
• Strong conceptual and analytical skills with the ability to think strategically and rapidly analyze diverse information from multiple sources to draw conclusions and provide recommendations.
• Excellent oral and written communication and presentational skills. Spoken and written fluency required in English. Fluency in French or Spanish a plus.
• Strong interpersonal and influencing skills including ability to promote strong collaboration and facilitate and achieve consensus with MDB and other partners, clients, and colleagues in a multicultural environment.
• Experience working both in-person and virtually with teams, stakeholders and consultants, including use of online knowledge sharing tools and communities of practice.
• Experience working in and knowledge of the policies and procedures of the World Bank Group or other multilateral development bank policies and procedures strongly preferred.
• Proven experience working both independently and as a member of team.
• Task/project management skills, including ability to supervise consultants and more junior staff.
• Research and Analysis to Support KM Activities: Defines efficient and effective methodologies for research and analysis. Coordinates research and analysis projects across the department, ensuring such projects are peer reviewed appropriately. Responds to requests for complex research and analysis and based on an understanding of requestor’s need, interest and demand. Reports to department leadership on the demand for research services, related outputs, and utilization.
• Knowledge Exchange: Leads the development, implementation and evaluation of demand-based knowledge exchange activities for the department and for internal and/or external clients in coordination across the Bank Group. Monitors, recommends, and implements improvements to strengthen knowledge flow among and across regions, project teams, Bank Group’s organizations, and external stakeholders. Provides input to the content of knowledge exchange activities. Works independently requiring minimal supervision to broker knowledge exchange. Is beginning to develop a reputation for expertise in brokering knowledge exchange. Is developing networks throughout the Bank Group related to brokering knowledge exchange.
• Lead and Innovate: Contributes new insights to understand situations and develops solutions to resolve complex problems. Adapts as circumstances require and manages impact of own behavior on others in context of the Bank Group’s values and mission. Identifies and pursues innovative approaches to resolve issues.
• Collaborate within Teams and Across Boundaries: Appropriately involves others in decision making and communicates with key stakeholders. Approaches conflicts as common problems to be solved. Actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches displaying a sense of mutuality and respect. Integrates Bank Group perspective into work.
• Create, Apply, and Share Knowledge: Leverages department’s expertise and body of knowledge across Bank Group to strengthen internal and/or external client solutions. Seeks to learn from more experienced staff to deepen or strengthen their professional knowledge and helps others to learn. Builds personal and professional networks inside and outside the department unit.
• Make Smart Decisions: Seeks diversity of information and inputs, researches possible solutions, and generates recommended options. Identifies and understands risks and proposes recommendations. Based on risk analysis makes decisions in a timely manner within own area of responsibility, considering the interests and concerns of stakeholders.