The UGHE Junior Faculty programme is designed to build the capacity of promising young East African physician-scientist-educators. Junior Faculty in Medical Education at UGHE participate in development and delivery of curriculum in the basic sciences in the UGHE MBBS/MGHD (medical degree) programme, and contribute to ongoing curriculum review and improvement. Junior Faculty will be given mentorship in research and medical education while working at the UGHE campus in Butaro. After two years of service at the UGHE-Butaro campus (or shorter), UGHE will work with Junior Faculty to secure advanced training in the basic sciences, research, or a clinical specialty.
- Work under the supervision of full-time and visiting faculty to determine content, lesson plans, and teaching responsibilities within the teaching team;
- Write and develop course materials inclusive of assessments, syllabi, lesson plans, readings and teaching videos and contribute to in class instruction in medical program courses;
- Supervise, examine and grade students and enter their grades to facilitate assessment of their performance and understanding of academic concepts;
- Ensure alignment of content and curriculum with UGHE’s plans and international standards;
- Where appropriate, develop revisions to existing courses and curriculum;
- Conduct various administrative responsibilities such as assessment of student progress, monitoring student attendance, validating candidature of students before exams, and evaluating the student experience at UGHE;
- Participate in teaching in the science lab and simulation center
- Participate in research at UGHE
- Carry out research activities with input from UGHE Faculty members and disseminate research findings through publications and presentations in conferences and seminars to contribute to scientific knowledge;
- Mentor UGHE students on research projects and advise them on study skills to ensure their projects are relevant and up to the University’s standards; and
- Perform additional tasks as assigned.
- Minimum of a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) or an equivalent degree earned in East Africa within the last five years;
- Fluency in spoken Kinyarwanda;
- Proven interest in medical education and scientific research;
- Computer literacy, with proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite and Google suite;
- Solid foundation in medical curricular content;
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills;
- Ability to multitask, work well as a member of a team, and demonstrate flexibility in a fast-paced work environment;
- Ability to pay attention to detail and quality; and
- Results-oriented with adherence to deliverables and deadlines.
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to apply
Applicants should provide: (1) a curriculum vitae, (2) a cover letter, (3) a personal statement addressing candidate’s experience working in a related field, (4) names and contact information of three professional references who can attest to experience in education, leadership and management experience; at least one of these references should be an immediate supervisor and (5) copies of all degrees earned and current professional certifications.
Please upload your cover letter, personal statement, and proof of degrees attained as a single PDF file under “Additional Files” on the application page