Job Title: Health Financing / Mixed Health Systems Consultant
Department: Health Systems Accelerator
Based in: Eastern/Southern Africa
Reports to: Senior Strategy and Health Financing Advisor
Who we are
PSI is a global non-profit organization focused on making it easier for all people to live healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We see consumer-powered healthcare as the sustainable path toward Universal Health Coverage (UHC). Our 2021-2023 strategy sharpens PSI’s focus on working more closely with national governments and partners to strengthen private sector engagement – enabling public money to flow to private health care provision – and integrate self-care and digital health as critical components of future health systems. We want to shape mixed health systems, through which the consumer can access quality products, services, and information without financial hardship. PSI’s newly established Health Systems Accelerator (HSA) will be leading this work, helping PSI intensify its contribution to country-level efforts to move towards UHC.
What we are looking for
PSI country teams have started working on aligning their respective country strategies to PSI’s Global Strategy to Scale Consumer Powered Healthcare and developing their Operational Plans for the 2021-2023 strategy cycle.
The HSA is building a roster of health financing / mixed health systems consultants to provide on-demand support to PSI country teams in eastern and southern Africa as they align their strategies, prepare their plans and start implementing them.
We are looking for experienced and energetic professionals with a solid understanding of health financing and health systems, with strong strategic and analytical skills, with experience working with national governments on health sector reform, particularly relating to the role of private providers in the delivery of essential health services, and with significant experience in fundraising. Selected consultants may also provide support to the HSA itself.
Sounds like you? Read on…
You will work closely with the PSI Country Representatives (CR) of the countries where assignments are to be conducted, under the supervision of the HSA’s Senior Strategy and Health Financing Advisor. You will receive technical guidance from the HSA and possibly – depending on the nature of the assignment – from other Departments within PSI.
Your contribution will be in any or all of the following areas:
- Health system / health financing landscaping: Collect, analyze and synthesize information (e.g., through a desk review of existing documents, through key informant interviews…) relating to the country’s health system and health financing environment (current situation, ongoing reforms, vision for the future). Develop user-friendly processes and tools to facilitate such landscaping exercises.
- Formulation of country strategies and operational plans: Support country teams as they: (i) identify opportunities and concrete entry points for PSI to contribute to the country’s efforts to build mixed health system and accelerate progress toward UHC, (ii) define strategic priorities and (iii) translate these priorities into concrete activities.
- Alignment of the operational plan to workplans and budgets: Work with country teams to identify ways to better align existing projects and budgets to the new strategic priorities and operational plan.
- Development of new programming opportunities: Craft concept notes, project proposals and/or investment cases to mobilize additional funding for country-level HSS work as well as for the HSA itself.
- Generation of evidence: Conduct analytical work to build the evidence base for specific innovative approaches or interventions.
- Development of knowledge products: Document and package the learnings from PSI’s innovative work, especially in the area of mixed health systems, to help us tell our story in a compelling way to a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Capacity building: Develop materials and (innovative) approaches to effectively build capabilities within PSI (especially at country level) in areas of health systems strengthening (HSS) that are relevant to PSI’s global strategy, such as private sector engagement, self-care and health financing.
We are looking for someone with the following background/profile:
- Graduate degree in Health Economics, Health Financing or a related field
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in the international development sector with increasing levels of responsibility
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience in health financing and health systems reforms, preferably working closely with or within national governments
- Experience in “institutionalization” of programs/projects within government systems
- Experience working with a diverse range of stakeholders (including different types of donors)
- Strong strategic and analytical skills
- A keen sense of urgency and strong work ethic, positive mindset, and comfort with the ambiguity and pace of a dynamic environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Fluency in written and oral English (fluency in written and oral French, Spanish and/or Portuguese desired)
- A passion for improving the lives of the women, men and children that PSI serves.
Ideally, the candidate should be based in eastern or southern Africa.
The successful candidate(s) will be set up on an Indefinite Quantity Contract (IQC) for a period of one year. Individual Task Orders will be issued under the IQC with specific details for that assignment, including detailed scope of work, expected deliverables, exact dates, and number of days allotted for completion of the task.