Job Title: Finance and Admin Officer
Technical Reporting: Associate Finance Manager
Position type: Short Term Contract
Contract duration: (February 1, 2019 – June 30, 2019)
Heartland Alliance International (HAI) is the global arm of Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights, a family of organizations that has been leading anti-poverty and social justice work in Chicago for more than 125 years. HAI implements programs in nearly a dozen countries on a range of global human rights issues, providing mental health and psychosocial services, access to justice for survivors of conflict or abuse, and high-quality stigma-free healthcare. Across all programs, HAI promotes progressive, innovative approaches to human rights protections and gender equity. HAI’s mission is to ensure the safety of people whose rights have been violated and empower them to actively engage in their communities and drive social change. HAI envisions a world in which people who have been victims of violence and human rights abuses have the opportunity to heal from trauma and access justice, move toward active engagement in society, and create positive and lasting change.
Heartland Alliance International required the services of a Finance Officer, who will be responsible for day-to-day financial as well as administrative related for NACA/GF grant and the Core Group. He/She will support all financial and internal control concerns on the project, such as budgeting, raising of vouchers, updating reporting templates, raising of cheques and other payments as well as ensuring the implementation of financial and internal controls on the project.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities and Deliverables:
Raising of vouchers and cheques, as well as making payments upon due approval
Ensure account reporting formats and templates for the grant are continually updated with all current and relevant information
Support the preparation of reports for audit purposes
Keep all financial transactions and maintain balances of accounts
Keep proper office records and filing as appropriate and ensure maintenance of project asset register
Assist in preparing of monthly activities budgets and maintaining cash float
Review staff travels and project activities advances and retirements
Responsible for the preparation of all financial reports on the project in office including daily input of transactions into Quickbooks and monthly reconciliations.
Responsible for ensuring adherence to administrative processes of the organization regarding the project.
Complete and submittaxremittance andother deductionstothe relevant authorities
Ensure implementation of regulations and procedures for procurement.
Any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Education and/or Experience:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or competency required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A degree or equivalent qualification in accounting or relevant field
3 years relevant experience
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Ability to work with minimal supervision
Fluency in oral and written English and should have knowledge of the use of QuickBooks
Fluency in speaking, reading, and writing English
Strong attention to detail
Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Time Management – Ability to prioritize tasks, manage time and complete projects in a fast-paced, changing environment with minimal supervision.
- Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
- Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively;
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events
- Cultural Sensitivity – Respects cultural environment in which person is working and does not act in a manner that is outwardly offensive to the local community.
- Non-discriminatory- Do not discriminate persons based on sexual orientation or gender identity, age, preferred jobs or behavioral habits
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Knowledge of Local Language preferred.
- Demonstrated competency in public speaking
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, Outlook/Exchange, Windows operating systems, Power Point.
- Other software routinely used by Heartland Alliance
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The employee will be required to co-locate with local partners usually in the same office.
- The employee is required to travel regularly to often insecure and limited-resource environments.