Background: IRC Charlottesville provides resettlement services to approximately 250 newly arriving refugees each year as well as ongoing support to refugees and asylees already in the community. A dedicated staff of 17 professionals and 3 AmeriCorps members offers an array of programs including employment, education, family support, immigration and interpreter services. IRC also operates a sub-office in Richmond, staffed by 6 professionals and 1 AmeriCorps member, to provide resettlement, employment, education and health services to refugees in the Greater Richmond area.
Scope of Work: The Finance Manager controls and manages the implementation of the accounting systems in the Charlottesville office and collects and processes IRC’s financial data in order to provide management, donors, grantors, creditors, and others with timely, accurate and understandable information. The Charlottesville office has a current budget of $2+ million with multiple federal, state and private contracts and grants. The Finance Manager reports to the Executive Director.This is a reduced schedule position offering full benefits.
- Ensure office compliance with IRC’s accounting policies vis-à-vis fund accounting as noted in IRC’s finance manual and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Review all accounting transactions to ensure proper coding and enter all transactions into IRC’s accounting software.
- Prepare monthly financial reports and submit to IRC HQ as per scheduled due dates.
- Reconcile regional office’s database against IRC HQ’s database on a monthly basis and investigate and resolve difference in coordination with the Regional Controller.
- Facilitate any external or internal audit.
- Prepare financial reports to various donors as per contractual obligations. Submit reports to the donors after obtaining sign off from the Executive Director.
- Supervise the IRC Charlottesville’s banking arrangements.
- Prepare annual and quarterly cash budgets and submit the monthly cash transfer requests.
- In coordination with the Executive Director, prepare the Charlottesville office’s annual operating budget and required reforecasts as per guidelines.
- Prepare budgets for grant proposals in coordination with the Executive Director and local program managers.
- Provide applicable finance information at month end including grant-specific BVAs to Executive Director and local program managers for monthly budget tracking.
Administration & Internal Controls
- Coordinate the protection of the organization’s assets by implementing IRC’s Internal Control procedures.
- Review current service agreements for cost effectiveness and recommend changes as appropriate.
- Maintain grant and contract files for all programs.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, develop, update and implement office procedures to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Coordinate development of contracts and subcontracts with IRC HQ, as well as subcontractor monitoring in accordance with funder requirements.
- Assist the Executive Director in other areas as required.
- Bachelor degree with a minimum of five years accounting experience, preferably non-profit.
- Previous experience working with federal grants, preferred.
- Solid computer-based accounting skills, including Sun Systems (preferred), Quickbooks, spreadsheets and various other financial related software programs.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs and Internet search skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to work as a team member in a cross-cultural environment.
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively.
- Ability to effectively work with IRC HQ through telephone, email and other correspondence.