Position Title: Facilities Maintenance Manager
Reports to: Director of Infrastructure
Location: Butaro, Burera District, Rwanda
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high-quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
This position is responsible for management and supervision of services such as facilities maintenance, renovations, repairs, facilities security and safety as well as landscaping for all UGHE premises to ensure the surrounding environment is in safe and suitable working condition and ready for occupancy. The position is further responsible for the management and supervision of all facilities maintenance staff and service maintenance contractors for all UGHE Premises.
Leadership and Management
- Provide leadership to the Facilities Maintenance team and maintain open communications including attending meetings with all stakeholders and staff as required
- Manage in-house and contract staff to ensure maintenance works are carried out in a timely and effective manner, endeavoring at all times to ensure a professional outcome with minimal disruption;
- Develop and implement the Campus facilities safety policies and procedures;
- Manage all contract services, contracts associated with maintenance of buildings and infrastructure
- Ensure UGHE complies in full with the National policies related to safety and facilities maintenance of public facilities;
- Communicate effectively with all stakeholders on projects, maintenance and refurbishments associated with their areas, as well as the university in general;
- Ensure proper documentation of all facilities maintenance works to guide decision making and planning
- Prepare annual facilities maintenance work plan and budget as well as monthly, quarterly and annual reports for the same
- Inspect and pre-approved occupancy of all UGHE facilities to ensure conformity with UGHE facilities safety standards
- Develop and maintain an energy management plan for the entire campus within acceptable guidelines that do not compromise safety and security and implement strategic analysis of campus facilities, infrastructure and relevant life cycles;
- Develop and manage a facilities online request system (BIM 360 Ops) for campus residents to be able to report areas which need support from a member of the facilities team
- Develop and coordinate long term area refurbishment programs, routine, non-routine and mandatory maintenance programs for both preventative and corrective maintenance work within available budget
- Enforce safety requirements specified by the contractor and by UGHE policies (e.g. wearing of helmet while at the work site, ensuring visitors keep distance from any active construction or other potential hazards) to promote safety to staff and visitors
- Prepare tender documentation for all major services contracts in accordance with the contracts policy for UGHE and participate in the tender selection process in accordance with contracts policy
- Report any loss, damage, or destruction of property, materials, trees and vegetation or equipment
- Support the University in attracting and retaining students, staff and faculty members, by maintaining the University’s facilities and grounds
- Carry out other such activities which may be requested by the supervisor
– Minimum of five (5) years’ work experience in a supervisory and maintenance of building or construction site;
– Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Civil/ Structural Engineering, Building Construction Management, Project Management, Facilities Management or a related field from a regionally recognised institution;
– English and Kinyarwanda proficiency required, French preferred;
– Experience in planning, policy, procedures formulation and implementing monitoring and reporting systems;
– Experience and knowledge of construction management, budget monitoring, service agreements and contractor performance management in large complex organizations;
– Proven experience in the coordination and effective delivery of multi trade performance based maintenance contracts;
– Comprehensive understanding of architectural and engineering plans and specifications;
– Demonstrated knowledge of the health and safety practices applicable to the building industry;
– Demonstrated ability to use email and the latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel and MS Project;
– Demonstrated experience in liaising with statutory authorities and government organizations in relation to major and minor works, maintenance projects and services contracts;
– Ability to exercise independent judgement and personal initiative to constructively solve problems and make effective decisions based on knowledge of policy and procedures, relevant events and strategic priorities;
– Ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse staff across departments and organizations; and
– Demonstrated poise, tact, integrity, and professionalism.